PDA

View Full Version : DC advice....upgrading to a 20" planer

Arnie Grammon
04-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Presently, I have a 2 HP Grizzly Dust Collector in combo with a 2 stage collector with a 4 inch hose.

I have just purchased a 20" Jet planer with a 5 inch dust fitting.
A few questions........

1. Is my DC adequate for this planer?, i.e., will I lack DC power?

2. Should I build a different 2 stage collector with a 5 inch fitting, matching the planer?

3. Or......should I simply buy a 5 inch to 4 inch reducer for the 2 stage collector?

Thanks for the advice!

Arnie

Jim Becker
04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
If the planer has a 5" port "out of the box"...that should tell you something. If you have the G1029 or similar DC, convert it to a 6" inlet and go from there. You can never have too much airflow...dust collection is about moving air. The more air you move, the more chips and dust will get carried along with said air. You can only fit so much air in a given space (duct area). Increase the space, increase the amount of air that can fit in it. (Obviously, there are limits to what a particular blower can handle!)

lou sansone
04-21-2005, 11:43 AM
I am not sure about all of the details of your setup, so my advise should be tempered a little. I would agree with jim that it seems best to upgrade the 4 inch hose to a 5 inch or 6 inch setup back to the chip collector. I ran a 20 machine with a 5 inch hose for years and it worked pretty good. The bottom line will be if the board exists your new planer with a bunch of chips still laying on top you have a problem. If you are not pulling all of the chips off the wood the outfeed roller will tend to mash them down into the surface of the wood, among other things, and put little divits in your lumber.
best of luck
lou

Ed Lang
04-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I have the same DC and use 4" hose. I have the 20" Grizzly planer and it has the 5" connection. I have removed the dust port so I can use the planer. I need to upgrade the hose to 5" or 6" and then I hope to be ok.

4" is not going to do it on that planer.

craig carlson
04-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Gotta agree with Ed. All I did with my 15 inch planner (4" hole) is plug the hose up, now I just aim it out the big door and sweep the chips away.
Craig

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-22-2005, 12:48 AM
At the mesquite outfit, using the Grizzly 1029 DC and 1033 20" planer, we had a sheet metal adapter made to come off the planer, then used 4" PVC up aboout 10' to the ceiling, across the way 25' or so, and down 12' to the trash can separator lid thingy. Worked like a champ.

KC

Alan Turner
04-22-2005, 8:50 PM
I have the smaller of the two Jet cannister DC's (the larger won't fit under the pipes in my basement). It collects via a 4" hose, on my 20" 4-post planer without difficulty; no clogging. I brought the dia. down from 5" to 4" about 1 foot off the planer and have had no probs.

Charlie Plesums
04-23-2005, 1:31 AM
With my 2 hp DC and 4 inch hoses, I work fine with my 16 inch planer, but I have to limit the depth of cut on the wider pieces, or I can overload the hoses, because of the lower air flow.

5 or 6 inch hoses and shorter runs would be a lot better, but you can survive with 4 inch, as I do.