PDA

View Full Version : Amt 15 planer good shape

Peter Jacob
11-08-2012, 1:58 PM
Hello to all . Glad to be a new member to your site. My friend has a AMT 15 PLANER built in the 11 month of 1992. Its in very good condition just sitting in the garage. I understand the company doesnt make this planer anymore. Wondering what it's worth. Its never going to be used. Thank you for your time in this matter.

david brum
11-08-2012, 3:44 PM
If it is a generic 15" Taiwanese planer (Delta clone) and in decent shape, you won't have a hard time getting parts. The older Grizzly 15" planer was basically the same and they seem to have all the necessary parts. There isn't much that fails on these things anyway, except bearings, belts and oil seals. Basic stuff.

I have a similar planer. It has the usual 2 hp motor, mounted on top. I paid around $400 which I don't think was an exceptional deal.

These are pretty good planers. There are a million possible adjustments, so you can really tune them to perfection. Even better if you spring for a helical cutter head.

David Kumm
11-08-2012, 8:05 PM
300-400 is pretty much the top IMO. Taiwanese clones were pretty erratic quality wise back then as QC was kind of non existent. Bearings likely need replacement and the motor will be poor quality. I would not put a byrd head on it when a better version of the planer can be had for a few hundred more. Parts will be pretty easy to find though. Dave