PDA

View Full Version : How much would you charge for this sign

Ernie Martinez
11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
This is my first job, and have no idea how much I should charge, considering I had a learning curve.

Sign is 1/2" acrylic.

This sign was routed on the CNC, letters engraved on my laser engraver. Base color paint, mask and letter fill paint.

Sign is 11"W x 7"H.

If I were to go to your sign shop for this sign, how much would it cost per sign for 30 of them?

Excuse the condition of the sign, I used the wrong paint, this is just a prototype.

Mark Sipes
11-08-2012, 1:10 PM
Well the customer does not care to pay for your learning curve.....so with that out of the way. cost of materials x 3, time in labor/hour x $65, laser costs $2.00 a minute., paint, packaging, overhead etc....... You tell us what that comes to......per plaque

Ernie Martinez
11-08-2012, 2:21 PM
Thats like over $125 per sign! Is this realistic?

Lee DeRaud
11-08-2012, 2:30 PM
Totally off-topic, but am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the thread about sandblasting glassware got moved to the signmaking forum and this one is still here in the engraving forum?
(at least as of 11/8 11:30AM)

Scott Shepherd
11-08-2012, 2:37 PM
I'd be at $90. Might squeak down to mid-80's if I was feeling generous. Remember, it takes someone else the same time to make it, so there's no need to be cheap.

Mike Null
11-08-2012, 2:38 PM
Lee

I looked at this too but since it is partly laser engraved I left it here.

Sandblasting does belong in the sign forum.

Steve Busey
11-08-2012, 2:44 PM
Totally off-topic, but am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the thread about sandblasting glassware got moved to the signmaking forum and this one is still here in the engraving forum?
(at least as of 11/8 11:30AM)

Lee, You're not the only one! :confused:

But I'll be happy where ever I get an answer. :) Just thought the folks in here have "been there/done that" with laser patterned sand blasting.

Sorry, back to the original topic... Ernie, can't speak to it myself, but this is not a sign they can go down to Walmart and buy off the shelf. Customization is surely worth some premium. If you're running out of your garage instead of a commercial shop, you may be able to shave some of that cost down, there should also be some volume price break, although it sounds like a pretty labor intensive process. Also, remember - that $65/hr rate recommendation - you may be able to do 10 signs in 3 hours, so break that down accordingly.

Steve Busey
11-08-2012, 2:47 PM
Sandblasting does belong in the sign forum.

Not complaining, Mike - but I was looking for insight on eqpt for mug/wine glass blasting, using a lasered mask as a starting point - didn't even think about it as a sign project. :o

Ross Moshinsky
11-08-2012, 3:20 PM
Any sign job you have 3 main costs. Material. Machine time/setup. Assembly/labor.

We typically stick to 2-5x material cost + machine time. The material cost covers any mistakes we may make and also covers things like painting, setup, and time with the customer. On smaller jobs, especially with a material you don't commonly use, it should be material cost x 5 (or something like that), because you have to order double the material in case you make a mistake plus you don't get a chance to average the setup and customer time over the job. That time has to come from somewhere. If you're running 20 of these, you're probably looking at material cost x 3 as you only need to worry about 1-2 extra at most and the setup times theoretically should average out fairly well.

Jim Dawson
11-08-2012, 4:13 PM
we would be around $80.00 each

Ernie Martinez
11-08-2012, 4:29 PM
Thanks guys.

Ernie Martinez
11-08-2012, 4:30 PM
Oh by the way, I also posted this on the sign forum......I didn't even know it existed :)

Walt Langhans
11-08-2012, 5:19 PM
Hummmm.....

Well the customer does not care to pay for your learning curve.....so with that out of the way.

I agree 100%, but...

We typically stick to 2-5x material cost + machine time. The material cost covers any mistakes we may make and also covers things like painting, setup, and time with the customer. On smaller jobs, especially with a material you don't commonly use, it should be material cost x 5 (or something like that), because you have to order double the material in case you make a mistake plus you don't get a chance to average the setup and customer time over the job. That time has to come from somewhere.

Apparently you can get your customers to pay for your learning mistakes...

Perhaps I should revisit how I'm going to be charging people.

Dan Hintz
11-08-2012, 6:29 PM
The learning curve is (hopefully) a one-way ticket up the hill... mistakes happen no matter how many tickets you buy or how far you've traveled...

Ernie Martinez
11-08-2012, 6:41 PM
LOL, If I had to charge based on my learning curve, I'd have to charge about $2000 per sign :) Like my wife keeps saying, I spent $30k to make $100.

Ross Moshinsky
11-09-2012, 7:29 AM
Apparently you can get your customers to pay for your learning mistakes...

Perhaps I should revisit how I'm going to be charging people.

Who said anything about learning mistakes? Mistakes happen all the time. It might happen on a $5 job or a $500 job. You're supposed to price things so if a mistake happens, you don't pay it directly out of pocket. You might not make money on the job or that piece, but you shouldn't be reaching in your pocket very often.

You can't stay in business making lots of mistakes but you definitely can't stay in business if you aren't prepared if you do ever make a mistake.

Mike Null
11-09-2012, 7:45 AM
Guys, the sign forum is something of a catchall. Here's the title line.

Forum: Sign Design and Fabrication
Techniques and Materials For Making Signs, Dye-Sub, CLT, Vinyl, Sand Blasting, Etc.

Kim Vellore
11-09-2012, 1:28 PM
Dont forget cost for making 1 vs cost more making many is significantly different. I assumed you will be making more than one.
Kim

Stephen Sullivan
11-16-2012, 1:20 AM
LOL, If I had to charge based on my learning curve, I'd have to charge about $2000 per sign :) Like my wife keeps saying, I spent $30k to make $100.

My wife hits me with the same comments....:D