PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Colt Router Kit

George Bokros
11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Contemplating a purchase of the new Colt with the plunge base. What are your opinions?

I have a table mounted PC 3.25 hp router and a 1.75 hp Milwaukee Body Grip for hand use. The Colt only uses 1/4' shank and all my bits are 1/2" shank so it will require purchasing duplicate edge profile bits and that turns me off especially since I am retired.

Still want opinions of the Colt cause I may just buy it.

Thanks

George

glenn bradley
11-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I have had a VS Colt for years and find it very usable. It is not a replacement for your hand held router, it is an additional way to do small tasks with a lighter easier to control bit-spinning-thingy. If you use it as intended it is a joy. If you expect to hog out a 3/4" dado in melamine, you will be disappointed. I recently ordered the plunge base for mine; I have been writing them a sort of hate-mail campaign asking for a plunge base for years. The DeWalt gets a lot of great reviews, has a little larger form factor, and what appears to be a better depth adjustment mechanism. I get the impression that the DeWalt is more of a mini-router than the Colt which is more like a laminate trimmer on steroids if that makes any sense. If I were buying new I would get the Colt but, that is because I have used one for so long and am comfortable with its use. DeWalt 611 owners will undoubtedly feel differently ;-)

John Coloccia
11-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I have them both. The Dewalt is a better router IMHO. My Colt is great to use, but it's nothing but frustration to set up. I would buy another Dewalt. I wouldn't buy another Colt. I may pick up a plunge base for the Colt, and honestly much of my frustration with the router is from they horrendously designed fixed base, but the Dewalt is STILL a nicer router.

Matt Day
11-08-2012, 12:10 PM
I've had a Colt (without the plunge base) and I've really enjoyed the times I've used it because of it's control and lightweight. You probably won't really need many bits for it, and possibly a 1/4" kit would suffice. I use a 1/4 bit, flush cut bits, and a couple roundovers mainly. In fact I have a cheapo router bit kit (Skil I think) that has worked for me.

Edit: I would have to agree with John that the base adjustment can be difficult at times and probably not the best design, but it works for me and I like the minimalist design which results in a compact size.

Jim Rimmer
11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I have them both. The Dewalt is a better router IMHO. My Colt is great to use, but it's nothing but frustration to set up. I would buy another Dewalt. I wouldn't buy another Colt. I may pick up a plunge base for the Colt, and honestly much of my frustration with the router is from they horrendously designed fixed base, but the Dewalt is STILL a nicer router.
+1 on everything he said. I have both (no plunge base for the Colt). Recommend the DeWalt.

Glenn Kramer
11-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Me three on the Dewalt. I have the Colt and it simply does not compare to the fit and finish on the DeWalt. For most portable power tools I an a Bosch fan, but not so on this item.

Rick Fisher
11-08-2012, 1:07 PM
I have one but would not buy another .. I think it was the best choice when it was launched, but the base is very small, and the adjustments are crude. I had the collet lock problem but would not say you would have it too.

I am still thinking of the new Makita trim router kit, not a fan of DeWalt products ..

Bill Huber
11-08-2012, 1:14 PM
I had the Colt and it is a good little router, just like other have stated the adjustment is not that great, it is hard to work with. When the new little Dewalt came out I got one and after just a short time I sold the Bosch.
I have done inlays and other handle work with the Dewalt and it handles everything just fine, it is not to heavy or large.
Here is my right up on the dewalt.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153632-Dewalts-new-baby-the-611-head-to-head-with-a-Bosch-Colt&highlight=dewalts+new+baby

Kent A Bathurst
11-08-2012, 1:15 PM
No Colt. No DW. No comment on those tools. This is more of a general observation and encouragement.

I have had the Makita 3707 lam trimmer for a few years. I use it all the time for edge round-overs, the occasional butterfly key relief, etc. because it is - literally - so handy to hold and move around the target.

Could not imagine life without a small-frame tool like that.

Mine has no plunge base, but that's OK by me, because the work I use it for is lightweight, and I can easily tilt and tip into the cut. If there was a plunge base, that would be aces in my book. The depth adjustment is positively medieval, and Makita should be embarrassed. But still and all - I like it a lot. It is the smallest and lightest of the group, IIRC - might be wrong about that.

You will love having a small-frame tool, whichever brand you get. And, yeah - you gotta gear up on the 1/4" shank bits. But you won't be duplicating very many, because I'd guess you will use it for specialized tasks as do I.

Larry Prem
11-08-2012, 4:01 PM
Both the DW and the Bosch are available at Home Depot. You have get a feel for them there.

I don't like the way the base plate is mounted on the Colt. It does not look very sturdy to me.
I have the DW, which works well.

Chris Padilla
11-08-2012, 4:25 PM
I have a Colt and for the times I've used it, it has worked fine for me. Now I have to check out the DeWalt!! I've been a bit out of touch with my ww'ing lately but getting back into it again.

Mike OMelia
11-08-2012, 6:17 PM
I have three Colts. Love them. But I'm stuck with them too since all my jigs are based on the Colt's mounting hole pattern. What I do not like is the difficulty in setting the height. Other than that, great little tool.

did not know they made a plunge base. This new?

Mike

Robert Chapman
11-08-2012, 9:00 PM
I have both the Colt and the DW. Since I bought the DW I have not used the Colt. I am generally a Bosch fan but in this case the DW is a much better, more user friendly tool.

Jim Neeley
11-08-2012, 9:46 PM
I have three Colts. Love them. But I'm stuck with them too since all my jigs are based on the Colt's mounting hole pattern. What I do not like is the difficulty in setting the height. Other than that, great little tool.

did not know they made a plunge base. This new?

Mike

Yes, it is new.. and Bosch is pretty proud of them. The plunge unit alone is selling for >$100 at street price, without the router.

Larry Edgerton
11-09-2012, 6:17 AM
George

I don't have a colt but I do have seven PC 310's. The concept of a small router for small bits works. I keep 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4" roundovers perminently mounted in some and use the others when they will do the job at hand. Much easier on the hand and nice control.

So, I vote that you try a small router. I think you will find it very usefull. I have played with a Colt, and I prefer my 310's, but they are no longer available.

Larry

John Coloccia
11-09-2012, 7:29 AM
I LOVED the PC 310s. I'm still angry that they're gone, but the Dewalt is a pretty worthy replacement assuming they don't fall apart in a few years. Longevity is my one concern with the new Dewalts. I haven't heard anything bad, but just based on the general direction of the industry I'm half expecting anything I buy to be disposable these days.

Curt Harms
11-09-2012, 7:43 AM
Yes, it is new.. and Bosch is pretty proud of them. The plunge unit alone is selling for >$100 at street price, without the router.

I just read a review of small routers in Woodworkers Journal. I have the fixed base Colt an messed with the nut on the locking mechanism so I can use the adjusting wheel without loosening the clamp but the router is still snug. They didn't say too bad things about the Trend plunger. I've never seen or used one but the quoted price is $99. The plunge base for the Colt is $89-$99. Unless the Trend is pretty sorry - it does look kinda tall in the pics - Tippy? I wonder if it'd make better sense to buy a Trend plunge router rather than a plunge base for the Colt for about the same $? If the plunge base for the Colt were $49 or $59 it might be a different story.

Carl Beckett
11-09-2012, 7:52 AM
What about those roto-zip tools the drywall guys use. I have seen all types of attachments, and they no doubt get abused a lot (even saw these on clearance once at a very low price). At all a viable option for a small handheld?

Jamie Buxton
11-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Has anybody actually been able to buy a Colt plunge base? The product was announced a year ago. The web is full of reviews of it, done by well-connected woodworkers who got the product from Bosch. But I don't see any retailers selling it yet. Several have it listed, but always as out of stock.

johnny means
11-09-2012, 3:15 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175849-Bosch-Colt-palm-router/page2&highlight=Bosch%20colt%20johnny

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160123-Bosch-Colt-Vs-new-DeWalt-DWP611-compact-router&highlight=Bosch+colt+johnny

Heres a couple of my rants about the Colt. I done think much of them. I would opt for a trim router our the mini dewalt myself.

Peter Quinn
11-09-2012, 5:01 PM
I like the colt, I use it a lot. Its small and manageable for small tasks. Its not going to handle a lot of edge forming tasks in terms of profiles. I tried, it gets chattery. It does handle small 1/4 rounds, chamfers, rabbits, fluh trimming, etc, like a laminate trimmer with a comfortable hand grip and a little more reach. I've never had issue with the depth adjustment, but I don't use mine to make parts for the space shuttle, so it may be an issue of expectations. Its certainly not an adjustment like a regular bosch router, but it beats the pants off the crappy PC system IMO, take a good look at one in person if possible and fiddle with it to get the idea.

I haven't used the dewalt, but if I were buying one today, I'd get the stripped down bare bones single speed colt and a tiny dewalt with plunge based on my observations. I got the colt installers kit, some neat attachments that I wanted but have rarely actually used. Waste of my money.

Todd Hyman
11-09-2012, 6:19 PM
The trend plung router is $79 at Peachstate until November 13. Does anyone have any experince with it?

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_110912.htm