PDA

View Full Version : Basswood Vase

Steve Schlumpf
11-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Mid-August we had a wind storm hit our property that took down a stand of three large Basswood trees. I had never turned Basswood before, so had no idea if it was going to be worth the effort to cut it up and haul it home.

After 3 trips of loading my truck up, I now have a few large chunks of Basswood waiting for their turn on the lathe. Surprised to find that even after 3 trips, I have only cut up ½ of the first tree! I also was surprised to find that Basswood is just as heavy as every other kind of wood – when it is green!

This is the first piece that I have turned out of it and while the rough out was a mess with water/sap flying everywhere, it sure cleaned up nice once dried! Basswood vase, 11” high x 5” diameter x 3/16” thick. Finish is wipe-on poly and it has a coat of Renaissance wax to give it that smooth as glass feel.
245129 245130 245131 245132

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Bob Bergstrom
11-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Beautiful job on the vase. You might want to try carving some of that basswood. I know down here in the Chicago area the carvers are drooling over logs of basswood that size. It is one of the carvers favorite. It usually is pretty plain, so I would think about coloring and carving. It should take a nice even dye job.

charlie knighton
11-08-2012, 11:58 AM
like your vase, Bob is right on the basswood for carvers. pm sent

Steve bellinger
11-08-2012, 12:14 PM
good looking vase Steve. Like the others have said carvers seem to love that stuff.

Mike Golka
11-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Free turn-able wood is always great and looks like you've done justice to your first piece Steve. Nicely done

John Keeton
11-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Steve, I know you were looking forward to getting this one finished, and it turned out great! Sweet form and the basswood has a lot more grain character than I felt it would.

Ted Calver
11-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Great shape and finish Steve. Let me echo that basswood is a carvers favorite. You might have some good trading material there.

David DeCristoforo
11-08-2012, 1:35 PM
Funny... just this morning I was thinking that there had not been a S.S. piece posted in a while. I really like this vase form. The slight recurve in the upper half of the form is sweet. And as JK said, it's not too common to find that much figure in basswood.

Jim Burr
11-08-2012, 3:46 PM
What would that look like dyed.....

Michelle Rich
11-08-2012, 3:48 PM
great shape..

Ronald Campbell
11-08-2012, 5:16 PM
Steve very nice vase. Have never turned Bass Wood but have seen pieces turned or carved from it. Like the colors in yours. Ron

Nate Davey
11-08-2012, 7:34 PM
Great piece Steve, I was wondering how thick you "Big Form" turners left your pieces.

Harry Robinette
11-08-2012, 8:03 PM
This is one of those pieces that I like allot but don't know why. But I must say it is very pretty.

Kathy Marshall
11-08-2012, 9:34 PM
Looks great Steve! Looks like you've got enough to keep you busy for awhile and try out some different techniques with it. Look forward to seeing what's next!

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-08-2012, 9:43 PM
Steve, I haven't turned any bass wood but I've heard that it's really chippy when turned green. Look's like you've ended up with a really nice smooth finish on it though.

Mark Hubl
11-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Nice form Steve. That is some nice big hunks of bass wood. Sorry the trees fell, but that is a nice bunch of wood. Like others, I am surprised by the figure and color, the stuff I have seen is very creamy and plain. Well done.

Peter Blair
11-09-2012, 9:20 AM
Hi Steve. Nice piece.
A few years ago I was given some local (BC) Basswood. It was dry and pretty cracked.
I turned a small bowl in return for the wood but didn't like the way it turned. That could be because it had started to rot.
I notice some real nice size chunks in the back of the truck, do you have a special technique for lifting these into your truck?

Scott Hackler
11-09-2012, 9:24 AM
Nice vase Steve. I was also surprized to see grain lines so pronounced in basswood. As I was studying it, I couldn't help but think that with that monster in your basement....shouldn't this vase be 10x that size???? :)

Steve Schlumpf
11-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Funny... just this morning I was thinking that there had not been a S.S. piece posted in a while. I really like this vase form. The slight recurve in the upper half of the form is sweet. And as JK said, it's not too common to find that much figure in basswood.

David - thanks for noticing... I have not had a chance to turn anything for a little over a month! Hate when that happens! You are one of the few that I can count on to notice the subtle curves that I try and place in my work. I appreciate that!

What would that look like dyed.....

Jim, this was the very first piece of Basswood that I turned and wanted to keep it natural so I knew how the wood looked after a straight poly finish. Now I know I have some grain to play with and also have a pretty good idea that the form will suck in color like no tomorrow - unless I figure a way to slightly seal it first. Should be fun!

Great piece Steve, I was wondering how thick you "Big Form" turners left your pieces.

Nate - on this piece, it was roughed out to 1/2" thick. I was very surprised at how little the wood moved while drying and because of that - will turn the larger forms down even thinner - when the time comes.

Steve, I haven't turned any bass wood but I've heard that it's really chippy when turned green. Look's like you've ended up with a really nice smooth finish on it though.

Joe - chipping when roughing the form was very common - especially on the inside. The wood did not want to sheer-scrape or hollow when green, however, after it was dry, chip-out inside the form was minimal and the outside cut cleanly.

Hi Steve. Nice piece.
A few years ago I was given some local (BC) Basswood. It was dry and pretty cracked.
I turned a small bowl in return for the wood but didn't like the way it turned. That could be because it had started to rot.
I notice some real nice size chunks in the back of the truck, do you have a special technique for lifting these into your truck?

Peter - I lay the wheelbarrow on its side, roll the log into the barrel, lift the barrow to the upright position, then haul it to the truck. Once at the truck, I move the wheelbarrow slightly under the tailgate and lift one end of the log and prop it against the tailgate. Then I push the wheelbarrow towards the bumper and that causes the wood to stand upright in the wheelbarrow - somewhat. At that point I just lift the back section of the log and push it forward in to the truck. Works for me - no real lifting of the entire log.

Nice vase Steve. I was also surprized to see grain lines so pronounced in basswood. As I was studying it, I couldn't help but think that with that monster in your basement....shouldn't this vase be 10x that size???? :)

Scott - I have blanks waiting to be turned. BIG blanks. Just have not had the time - and I wanted this piece finished first so that I knew if it was worth the effort or not. I believe it will be.

Thanks again everyone - for all your comments!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Really nice piece and form Steve.

Doug W Swanson
11-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Great looking vase, Steve!

Richard Jones
11-12-2012, 5:37 AM
Great form. That would look stunning with the right flowers/sticks/etc. on a walnut table...........

Eric Holmquist
11-12-2012, 6:19 AM
Nice form, and surprising amount of character to the grain. All the Basswood I've ever seen was quite plain.

francesco dibari
11-12-2012, 12:22 PM
excellent hunting and elegant design, well done Steve .. :)

robert baccus
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Nice wood haul. This is one of the most stable woods in the world and is the premiere wood for drafting tables ect. Spalts like hard maple also.