PDA

View Full Version : Which way should the rear dovetails go in a drawer?

Jamie Buxton
11-08-2012, 10:20 AM
I was looking at the drawers in a built-in that is about a hundred years old. The corner joinery at the front was what I expected -- half-blind dovetails with the tails on the sides. However, the joinery at the rear was through dovetails, with the tails on the back. Presuming dovetails at the back, which way do you think they should go, and why?

scott vroom
11-08-2012, 11:15 AM
IMO the tails have more design appeal/interest and should be on the sides not the back. And, side facing tails provide more strength in the direction it's most needed....front to back. That's how I do mine anyway.

I was looking at the drawers in a built-in that is about a hundred years old. The corner joinery at the front was what I expected -- half-blind dovetails with the tails on the sides. However, the joinery at the rear was through dovetails, with the tails on the back. Presuming dovetails at the back, which way do you think they should go, and why?

Brian Tymchak
11-08-2012, 11:26 AM
IMHO, the tails should point towards the back of the cabinet, or iow, the tails should be cut on the side boards. That gives the mechanical lock on the pin when the drawer is pulled forward and pushed backwards on its rails.

glenn bradley
11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
+ 1 on tails that point forward and backward. Its a structural thing but, not an absolute. Do what you like best.

John Coloccia
11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
If you put the tails on the back, it's easier to assemble. You just slide in the bottom, and tap on the back. Done the other way, you need to put in the bottom with the sides spread out, put on the back, and then fiddle with it to get everything lined up perfectly before you can tap it together.

Robert LaPlaca
11-08-2012, 1:39 PM

The tails should be on the sides of the drawer box, that's the way the with strongest interlock for the opening and closing motion of the drawer. Think of it this way, even if the glue fails (which it will sooner or later), the drawer will still function ok. Actually a well made box should be fully functional even without the glue, the glue just freezes it there..

Andrew Hughes
11-08-2012, 7:54 PM
This is the way Not to make a drawer.I do it because i can and i like the look.Yes the glue will give up some day and i wont be around to glue it back on.
It will be a job for some woodworker in the future if there is one.:)

Jim Neeley
11-08-2012, 9:41 PM

Given it was made 100 years ago when glue wasn't as strong as it is today, the tails should be on the sides, front and back, for reasons other have given.

With modern glues, if propoer allowance is made for edge grain to edge grain glue surface and the joint is well made (minimal tolerances) it won't really matter because the glue joint may be stronger than the wood.

Even more compelling though is most drawers don't see really high stresses like they would if used structurally so, with proper allowance for edge grain to edge grain you can do whatever you think looks best. Whether it has the ability to handle 20x the max load it will ever see or 200x the load doesn't matter. :-)

Conventional usage is half-blind front and through rear, with the tails on both on the sides. Again, it's up to you... YMMV.

Jim in Alaska

Jim Matthews
11-09-2012, 8:14 AM
This is the way Not to make a drawer.I do it because i can and i like the look.Yes the glue will give up some day and i wont be around to glue it back on.
It will be a job for some woodworker in the future if there is one.:)

This is why I both love and loathe this page.
You make drawers to this standard?

Maybe I should take up coffin making, the occupants aren't likely to complain about my work...

Luther Oswalt
11-09-2012, 8:54 AM
Andrew - That's beautiful work and I'm sure will be around a very long time!
Leo

Joe Scharle
11-09-2012, 9:02 AM
Maybe this will help:

PINS on ENDS
TAILS on SIDES

Same number of letters.

And remember; for drawers......IDIOT
Inside of Drawers Is Outside of Tree
(seasonal expansion will move toward the inside of the drawer and not towards the case sides)

John Coloccia
11-09-2012, 9:07 AM
And remember; for drawers......IDIOT
Inside of Drawers Is Outside of Tree
(seasonal expansion will move toward the inside of the drawer and not towards the case sides)

So THAT'S what she's been trying to tell me. I didn't know my wife was into woodworking.

scott vroom
11-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Conventional usage is half-blind front and through rear, with the tails on both on the sides. Again, it's up to you... YMMV.

Jim in Alaska

I've been doing half blind both front and back....cuts production time by limiting setup changes. I don't see any downside, really.