PDA

View Full Version : Toothing plane from a smoother?

Roy Lindberry
11-07-2012, 8:38 PM
Hey guys (and gals),

I have an extra #4 laying around waiting to be tuned up, and I was wondering about the possibility of grooving the iron, and adding a significant back bevel to make a toothing plane.

Is this a feasible idea, or am I out to lunch? If so, what would be the best way(s) to groove the iron?

Ryan Baker
11-07-2012, 9:09 PM
Traditionally, toothing irons were hand-struck with a chisel before the iron was hardened. You could anneal the blade, tooth it, and re-harden it. Trying to grind in the teeth would result in pretty huge teeth it would seem. Maybe you could try something like a dremel cutting disc.

It doesn't seem like you will get enough bed angle out of it though. Seems like you would be better off to make a body to put the iron in. The #4 would be better suited to remake as a scrub plane or something if you don't want another #4.

Adam Neat
11-07-2012, 9:34 PM
Ive grooved scraper blades with a 20 lpi file and they turn out nice. Havent gotten around to trying it on a plane iron to see if it would cut. If I had to I would use a carbide endmill in a bridgeport.

You could probably get some wide grooves with a cut off wheel in a dremel but be careful and watch which way the wheel is rotating when you get out to the edge.