PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright version C

Jim McDonald
11-07-2012, 8:16 PM
Has anyone had experience with this ? I know there are some hard feelings towards the company for not keeping their promises and apparently non reliability of the machine itself, is this version any more reliable, or just more of the same? Thinking that the ability to personalize items , toys boxes etc. might make sales more tempting and more profitable.

Roy Harding
11-08-2012, 7:07 AM
Has anyone had experience with this ? I know there are some hard feelings towards the company for not keeping their promises and apparently non reliability of the machine itself, is this version any more reliable, or just more of the same? Thinking that the ability to personalize items , toys boxes etc. might make sales more tempting and more profitable.

I bought one of these (not the version "C") in 2007 - with exactly the same aim in mind. I upgraded the chuck to the "Rock" chuck, the feed belts to the heavy duty rubber one, and added a decent dust collection hood to it. It was an "OK" machine - but a maintenance nightmare. I ended up buying a second one (used) just to canabalize it for parts. I still have the machine - and I still use it occasionally - but it is definitely NOT a machine designed for anything other than the weekend warrior who will use it occasionally.

I bought the Shopbot Desktop model two years ago, and couldn't be happier - that machine runs at LEAST 8 hours a day (6 days a week), and occasionally overnight for complicated carves - and I haven't had a hiccup with it yet.

The Shopbot is, of course, much more expensive - but if you're using it in a semi-production environment it's well worth it in my opinion.

The Carvewright is a fine machine in its' own right - but strictly for hobbyists who will use it lightly, and can afford down time when awaiting parts.

Richard Coers
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I have no direct experience with a Carvewright, but their reviews are widely varied. What always appears though, is how many times they sent it back, how many times it goes down, and how can I update my machine to the improved version. Reads to me like it's the Grizzly of cnc's. Okay machine, but you are going to need customer service a lot to get it running/keep it running. Personaly, I hate that type of situation. I like to buy it and use it. I don't like to rebuild my machines, wait for parts, wait for replies from customer service, etc.... All just because I bought it cheaper than a good machine.

Bob Reda
11-09-2012, 5:01 AM
Actually with any cnc machine you will become a mechanic and on the phone alot with support so support is what I look at. I have a shopbot 4x4 upgraded with a rbk controller and I bought it used before the upgrade, I have about $12,000 into it. I was one of the beta testers on the carvewright. Once again, as being a beta testeer one needs to know their machine and be able to maintain it. If anyone thinks they won't have to do this because they bought a $50 thousand machine they are wrong.

Bob