PDA

View Full Version : Need Good Lay-Flat, Air Hose...

Derek Arita
11-07-2012, 5:41 PM
I like the diameter and weight of the polyurethane/nylon hoses that I have, but they're a pain because they tend to curl up when rolled out. Are there any thin, light hoses that lay flat?

Jacob Muldowney
11-07-2012, 6:28 PM
I just picked one of these up a few months ago and it seems to be a decent hose.

http://www.flexzilla.info/index.html

Biff Johnson
11-07-2012, 6:33 PM
I prefer rubber hoses because they don't have a memory and coil easy, in a woodshop environs they stay clean of grease also. Try 1/4" size rather than a 3/8"...you will be happy. Also 25' is usually more manageable length.

Chris Parks
11-07-2012, 9:48 PM
1/2" hose if you are using air tools or spraying, anything less and the air flow drops too low.

Biff Johnson
11-07-2012, 10:11 PM
1/2" hose is huge! Even the industrial paint shops I've worked in only used 3/8"......1/2" hose was used to run big impact guns! Are you refering to OD and not ID?

Chris Parks
11-07-2012, 10:36 PM
ID. The relationship between air speed and moisture suspension depends on the ID of the delivery plumbing. As a matter of fact 1/2'' is marginal when it comes to high demand tools.

Art Mulder
11-08-2012, 7:33 AM
I just picked one of these up a few months ago and it seems to be a decent hose.

+1.

I picked up one at Lee Valley 6 months back or so. I'm not a heavy user, but it is FAR easier to deal with than the cheapy poly hose that came with my Porter Cable pancake compressor kit. Lighter also.

Matt Meiser
11-08-2012, 8:05 AM
What are you using it for?

I keep a Flexeel hose on my portable compressor. Only 1/4" and 25' so its just long enough to set the compressor by the middle of a wall in an average room and reach anywhere and still have some slack in the hose or set the compressor in front of a vehicle and reach all four wheels. I love it. But that compressor/hose combination wouldn't run my old HVLP conversion gun or an impact. I switched to a turbine so the first became moot and solved the latter by buying a Milwaukee that uses my M18 batteries which is way more flexible anyway.

Myk Rian
11-08-2012, 8:41 AM
I use the Goodyear, made in USA air hose found at Harbor Freight.
Those plastic ones are a pain in the winter.

Jefferey Scott
11-08-2012, 8:50 AM
I use the Goodyear, made in USA air hose found at Harbor Freight.
Those plastic ones are a pain in the winter.

+1. Goodyear rubber hoses are the best.

Doug Richardson
11-08-2012, 11:46 AM

I agree with Jacob. I purchased some Flexzilla hose at a local Menards, and it is very nice to work with. after getting some, I actually thought about pitching my older hose, even tho there was nothing wrong with it.

Mel Fulks
11-08-2012, 1:25 PM
Around here everyone is using the blue translucent ,small outside diameter hoses. I don't like them because they they make invisible trip loops sticking in the air and tangle so easily. On one of my first jobs everybody used rubber hoses hung in big loops on the wall ,as high as they could comfortably reach, and just inches off the floor. That way the hose can be accessed easily, put away easily,is not tangled, and will stay flat on the floor. That is the only way I can work.

Derek Arita
11-08-2012, 1:34 PM
Are Flexeel and Flexzilla both lay flat hoses?

glenn bradley
11-08-2012, 3:47 PM
Are Flexeel and Flexzilla both lay flat hoses?

Flexeel's claim to fame is in staying very flexible throughout a large temperature range. The one I run is very flexible and this makes it easy to handle but, it does have a memory. Flexzilla seems more focused on the lay-flat feature but, I have never handled any. I am more concerned with ease of handling and resistance to snags and kinks than I am laying flat on the floor. I work alone so no one is going to come in and trip over a loop of hose. If it is a tripping hazard you are trying to prevent, then lay-flat would win for me.