PDA

View Full Version : Primitive lathe

Kevin Bourque
11-07-2012, 5:03 PM
I was checking something out in one of the barns and I found an ancient belt driven lathe buried under some junk. It's made entirely of wood except for the primitive metal parts that hold the workpiece in place. I wouldn't even call them headstock and tailstock. They're little more than crudely fashioned metal parts to hold the work as it's being turned. I didn't have a camera with me, but I'll try to get some pics this week.

It appears to be in amazingly good shape for its age.

ray hampton
11-07-2012, 6:10 PM
how do you know that this are a primitive lathe, did someone cut a date of birth on it ,I saw plans somewhere on building a lathe using wood except for the head /tail stock drive

Kevin Bourque
11-07-2012, 7:32 PM
how do you know that this are a primitive lathe, did someone cut a date of birth on it ,I saw plans somewhere on building a lathe using wood except for the head /tail stock drive

It's been sitting in this barn for at least 60 years. The rest of the barn is filled with old millwork , doors, windows, and some old furniture.

ray hampton
11-07-2012, 8:00 PM
It's been sitting in this barn for at least 60 years. The rest of the barn is filled with old millwork , doors, windows, and some old furniture.

Yes , this will explain it