PDA

View Full Version : Owners Of Laguna 2HP DC...Question...

Derek Arita
11-07-2012, 4:43 PM
:DI've got mine coming tomorrow. Couldn't find a manual for it online, so I'm hoping to find someone who actually owns one. I'm using a chain winch to lift the unit onto it's base. Are there lifting hooks on the top of the cyclone barrel? If not, is there another lifting point to use?
Also, I've been reading about leaks of dust from joints. Should I have some sealer handy to seal the joints right off the bat? I can't wait to get this thing up and running.
Thanks for the help!

Cyrus Brewster 7
11-07-2012, 9:55 PM
Derek, I have no knowledge of the DC but for sealing the joints you have several options: foil tape, silicone, or self amalgamating tape (suck as X-treme Tape sold at Woodcraft/Rockler/etc.) - this is my favorite because my work throws out more than I can use. I am also sure there are other ways.

Also, you would definitely want to do at the beginning, but only after you have finalized you ducting layout. It can be a pain to remove whatever you decide to use as a sealant if you decide to change things around - I know.

Steven Hsieh
11-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I am amazed when its brand new, and you turn it on. There is a leak.

Laguna, Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic..........all have this problem.

Victor Robinson
11-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Derek, congrats on the new DC. I'm eyeing this model mostly for its supposed quietness. Could you report back on how loud it is once you get it all set up?

Derek Arita
11-07-2012, 11:19 PM
No prob. Once I've had a chance to put it thru it's paces, I'll give a report on what I think. I've had a Jet 1 1/2 hp and an Oneida 2hp Gorilla, so I think I have good, basic machines to compare to...anecdotal of course.

Mark Stubblefield
12-17-2012, 2:28 AM
How's it sound?

Jim Andrew
12-17-2012, 8:39 AM
Don't consider your layout permanent. You will find ways to improve it, and when you get a new piece of equipment, you will change your system. So use no caulk type sealant on your joints, only tape. The expensive duct tape sticks better than the cheap, and aluminum tape (furnace tape) works excellent, although harder to get off.

Jim Stewart
12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
My two-horse came with two eyebolts on the top. I think I put mine together in the drive and rolled it into the shop after it was put together. I remember seeing the spot welds having some daylight at the intake and at the feed to the filter. I never did tape these but I just went out and checked and I don't see any indication of leakage. I did see a dust mark where the plastic hose connects to the filter. I will tighten these connections. I use the aluminum tape to hold my metal pipe trunk line and gates together. It has not failed in two years. I still wear hearing protection when I run machines. I do have a hearing disorder that magnifies background noise. I like the machine; it has huge cfm. I bought it on special as a demo. I was hesitant about the china motor but it seems OK. I have a pdf Manuel I can email it to you if you send me a message with your email.

Derek Arita
12-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. I got my machine and had no problems with assembly. I used a winch to raise the top portion onto the base assembly. So far, its a good machine with adequate suction, compared with my old, large Oneida 2hp Gorilla. The machine came with fully caulked joints, so there are no leaks. Each flex connection comes with foam tape and does a good job of keeping the seal tight, however it was very difficult to get the flex pipe over the taped connections. It took me about 2 hours to get the two joints done. So far, I've used it with my table and router table and in both cases, then machine I'm using is louder than the DC. It's much quieter than the Oneida was.