PDA

View Full Version : Need to Find Wooden Military Service Seals

Charlie Barnes
11-07-2012, 1:20 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone,

First some background. I've been requested to build a "military mailbox" to go in my church's gathering space. The idea is to create a means for parishioners to be able to send a postcard or letter to one of our enlisted guys (we have 5 at the moment). A mother of one of the enlisted guys has agreed to be responsible for picking up the letters and seeing that they actually make it to the intended recipient. I have created a plan for a box that will have 6 separate slots across the top, one for each guy plus a spare. The letters will be retrieved through a front panel that folds open to allow access to each of the individual spaces. This panel will be approximately 6” high x 25” wide. On the front of this panel, I would like to attach 5 wooden military service seals, one for each branch. Since I am planning to use cherry for the project, I would like the seals to be cherry or similar so that they could be finished to closely match. I'm not planning to paint or decorate them since I would like more of an understated effect. I'd like for each seal to be around around 4" to 5" in diameter so they would fit nicely on the front panel.

Now my problem. I've looked on the web and can't find a source that has seals this small. There are a few companies that make them out of wood, but they tend to be larger for sign purposes (8" or larger). Does anybody know of a source that sells what I'm looking for?

I would really like to end up with a relief carving/3D effect. But as a plan B, my local Woodcraft has a laser engraver. I know this wouldn't provide the dimensional depth I'm looking for, but maybe it would be OK. Does anyone have any experience using their service? If so, could you share your opinion regarding the feasibility of this option and anything that I should be aware of?

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Charlie