PDA

View Full Version : Brace and Bit storage

Cody Cantrell
11-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Looking for some ideas on building storage for my Fray 110 and set of Irwin bits, currently I have the metal display holder for the bits. Was looking for some type of box/till to keep them together with a place for extra bits such as an expansive bit, counter sinks, reamers etc. Just curious whats out there would love to see pictures of your ideas. Thanks

Cody

Chuck Nickerson
11-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I look forward to the ideas posted. This is the problem I hope to address after I solve the file-storage problem.
Having a full set of Fray/Spoffords (107, 108, 110, 112, 114, and 117) and four sets of augers (coarse and fine, Jennings and Irwin),
I need a solution.

Gary Herrmann
11-07-2012, 12:53 PM
For the bits, get a block of wood and drill holes with each bit. Put magnets on the bottom or back and you have secure storage. Or make a hinged box with a thin "shelf" and drill holes through the shelf to keep them from sliding around.

Jim Neeley
11-07-2012, 6:26 PM
Any pictures? I'm looking for options to improve my "in the drawer" for the braces and "in the box" or "in the roll-up" for the bits.

Ryan Baker
11-07-2012, 8:16 PM
@Cody Be sure to keep the display holder, even if you don't use it. It makes a big difference if you want to resell the auger set. As for the storage solution, I will be interested to see what you come up with, since mine are all over the place.

Having a full set of Fray/Spoffords (107, 108, 110, 112, 114, and 117)

OK, First of all, you suck! :) I've never even heard of a 117, much less seen one. There is still something missing from your collection -- the 106. Pat Leach has one listed now (or at least he did).

Gary Herrmann
11-07-2012, 9:07 PM
You mean like this?

Cody Cantrell
11-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I like it Gary. Got any ideas for keepin everything together?

Gary Herrmann
11-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Not sure what you mean. The box is pretty straightforward.

Derek Cohen
11-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Looking for some ideas on building storage for my Fray 110 and set of Irwin bits, currently I have the metal display holder for the bits. Was looking for some type of box/till to keep them together with a place for extra bits such as an expansive bit, counter sinks, reamers etc. Just curious whats out there would love to see pictures of your ideas. Thanks

Cody

Hi Cody

Braces are easier to store by hanging them.

In the picture below I have Jennings pattern augers in the box on the shelf, as well as another set of Jennings, and a set of Irwins in suede roles in the drawer. The roles actually work best for me since I can move the bits around more easily.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ImagesOfMyWoodshop_html_m7c7c9340.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Drills/RJBox1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Drills/YankeesandRJaugers1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rodney Walker
11-08-2012, 2:33 AM
Derek had some good ideas to show you. The antique bit boxes are beautiful and elegant solutions. It would be a good project to make a custom one for yours. Rolls are very practical, especially if you are using a jointer's style chest and again, can easily be customized for your bits.
IIRC it was Jim Tolpin's "The Toolbox Book" that showed a toolbox where the sweep of the brace stored inside was being used as the handle for the tool box. A box made for the brace and bits along those lines would be another fun and interesting project to make.
Rodney

Chuck Nickerson
11-08-2012, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=Ryan Baker;OK, First of all, you suck! :) I've never even heard of a 117, much less seen one. There is still something missing from your collection -- the 106. Pat Leach has one listed now (or at least he did).[/QUOTE]

There's a 106? Noooooooo!
I actually ended up with two 117's. As long as there's not a 120...

Cody Cantrell
11-09-2012, 8:57 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will post what I get made.