PDA

View Full Version : interior lighting options

Jeff Heil
11-06-2012, 11:05 PM
We are building a new house and have looked at specialty lighting stores as well as the big boxes for the interior lighting fixtures and recessed cans. Has anyone found a good website for lighting fixtures or 5" cans, we have 30+ planned and would buy in bulk)?

Any brands of recessed cans that you have had success with? Halo? Juno? Others?

Brands or types of under cabinet lighting? LED vs Xenon or florescent ?

We are trying to find decent quality fixtures without blowing the electrical budget. I appreciate any input and insight.

Jeff

Dan Hintz
11-07-2012, 6:47 AM
Unless you're looking for something specific, I'd just go to Home Depot or Lowe's... They have a few 5" cans, I have picked up 6" cans in contractor's packs before. They have an okay selection of trim rings, too... picked up some nice brushed bronze ones for the basement.

Moses Yoder
11-07-2012, 10:18 AM
For your undercabinet lighting I would look at the Hafele website and look at the LOOX 24 volt LED strip lighting with an aluminum extrusion that can either be surface mounted or recessed. http://www.hafele.com/us/products/LOOX-led-lights-for-cabinet.asp These are a little harder to install, you have to make sure you have the right drivers, but they save a ton of money in energy over halogen or xenon and are very cool compared to the hot halogen and will last a lot longer. If you need more info I would be glad to provide the links to the actual parts I recommend.

Brian Elfert
11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
For LED light fixtures you really want to see the light before buying. There are all different colors of light from LED and you may not like the light. Home Depot currently has some LED recessed lights for $26 or $27 that people are saying are really good.

Jeff Heil
11-07-2012, 10:02 PM
These look great..Wife approved! Thanks for the insight!

Erik Loza
11-07-2012, 10:16 PM
We purchased a bunch of Sylvania cans that have the integrated LED. It was either at Lowes or at HD. In other words, no bulb to change, you just install the whole can as a single unit. Not inexpensive but seem to be of very high quality and will last forever (my primary reason for paying the $$$ up front...) and are also cheap to operate. Dimmable, as well.

Best of luck with your remodel.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Sam Murdoch
11-07-2012, 10:23 PM
As for under cabinet lighting see my post here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?193733-Under-cabinet-lighting-what-is-your-GO-TO-brand-that-is-not Mine is the last post.

Jeff Heil
11-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Thank you everyone for the ideas!

Jeff