PDA

View Full Version : Wine stems

Terry Hayes
11-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Hello all,

I am a novice turner and I am having an extremely difficult time making the deep 'cove' required on the base of these stems. Once I attempt to round over or contour the base I catch the end grain and ruin the blank. I have tried scrapers, bowl gouges, spindle gouges, etc. I am cognizant of riding the bevel but after turning the first one or two I can't seem to successfully turn another one! Obviously my technique sucks and any help would be appreciated...

Oh, I am using a 3x3 kiln dried cherry blank.

Thanks,
Terry

John Keeton
11-07-2012, 5:28 AM
Terry, you may want to try this cut with the tool rest perpendicular to the ways of the lathe using a short tool rest. A pull cut with a bowl gouge or a sweeping cut with a spindle gouge should work in that position.

Dan Hintz
11-07-2012, 7:00 AM
after turning the first one or two I can't seem to successfully turn another one!

I like what you managed to save, though :)

Peter Blair
11-07-2012, 9:10 AM
Hey Terry. One more thing to consider is a video on this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183556-carbide-cutters-VS-traditional-chisels/page2&p=1894438
If you watch the video and go to their website there are two more videos one of which is the making of a wine goblet with a carbide round cutter.
Looks interesting . . . .

John King
11-07-2012, 9:46 AM
Hey Terry. One more thing to consider is a video on this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183556-carbide-cutters-VS-traditional-chisels/page2&p=1894438
If you watch the video and go to their website there are two more videos one of which is the making of a wine goblet with a carbide round cutter.
Looks interesting . . . .

Whose web site? Please post link. - John

Terry Hayes
11-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Ok, John.. I went with your advice and placed the rest perpendicular to the ways and used my small fingernail gouge and round nose scraper. Problem solved!

However, I am tempted to get the mid sized easy wood finisher. Looks quite simple and I hope all those pretty sorby tools I bought don't collect wood dust and shavings after I try it.

Now if I can just get my CA finish right. I applied the several coats and then (even though I knew better) I placed CA polish on it. Of course the polish got into the grain and stayed white. AAarrgghh!!

Thanks again,
Terry