PDA

View Full Version : Tree - Black Maple....

Dennis Peacock
11-06-2012, 6:39 PM
The LOML WANTS 4 of these Black Maple Trees. Does anyone here know where I can find some of them to purchase and plant?

ray hampton
11-06-2012, 7:01 PM
The LOML WANTS 4 of these Black Maple Trees. Does anyone here know where I can find some of them to purchase and plant?

buy the wife 4 sugar maple

Dennis Peacock
11-06-2012, 9:05 PM
Ray,
There are 3 of these trees near us and she just LOVES the fall colors of these trees.!!! Beautiful yellow leaves and even translucent at times. She wants these trees for our yard. I'll research the Sugar Maples.

Mel Fulks
11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Unless you buy a named variety you can not predict what kind of fall color you will get,the parent plant might be very different from its seed. Ray has given you the right answer. The sugar maple named varieties are clones,so you can be sure what color leaves it will produce . You can get orange , red , whatever.If you can't get the color you want in a sugar maple they will have the color you want in a different type maple. Sugar maple is the right place to start.BUY NAMED VARIETY, "Autumn Glory" etc. THAT type name.....not "the one on the left".

Ted Calver
11-07-2012, 9:34 AM
Here's a place to start your research
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horticulture/kytreewebsite/pdffiles/ACERSACprint.pdf

ray hampton
11-07-2012, 9:34 AM
Unless you buy a named variety you can not predict what kind of fall color you will get,the parent plant might be very different from its seed. Ray has given you the right answer. The sugar maple named varieties are clones,so you can be sure what color leaves it will produce . You can get orange , red , whatever.If you can't get the color you want in a sugar maple they will have the color you want in a different type maple. Sugar maple is the right place to start.BUY NAMED VARIETY, "Autumn Glory" etc. THAT type name.....not "the one on the left".

I not sure about the type of maple around my house except when I see the sap running, I see orange,yellow ,red and believe it or not some that want to stay green