PDA

View Full Version : Ebay buying

Jerome Stanek
11-06-2012, 4:01 PM
I bid on an item on E bay but was outbid in the last second. I just got a second chance to get the item for my high bid and to let him know if I still wanted it. I e mailed him back and asked if I could come down and see the item run and his response was this

I can not have a meeting as i`m working outside the state. I can arrange something else if you are interested in a secure transaction thru eBay . I can make a free delivery and add at the transaction 14 days full money back guarantee.

Waiting your answer to take the sale to the next step.

Thank You

Is this a scam I think it is.

Kevin Bourque
11-06-2012, 4:08 PM
It's a classic Ebay scam. Report this person to Ebay.

Myk Rian
11-06-2012, 4:29 PM
It's a classic Ebay scam. Report this person to Ebay.

Not necessarily.
He may not be inOhio. In which case, I wouldn't expect a look-see.

Look up the persons selling history, where the item is, and feedback before jumping to conclusions.

Mike Henderson
11-06-2012, 4:40 PM
It's a bit difficult to understand from his note what the situation is. Is the item located where he is now, or is it located in your area and it's just that he's out of town.

If it is located in your area, he has to have someone who will ship it, and that person should allow you to see it.

If it's located where he is now, you'll have to go by your gut and his selling history - along with how much you want the item.

But in any case, make sure you go through eBay and pay with PayPal. If it's not what he promised, you have some recourse through PayPal to get your money back.

Mike

John Fabre
11-06-2012, 5:24 PM
Sounds like a scam, never buy a second chance offer!

Matt Meiser
11-06-2012, 5:36 PM
If you do it legit, through eBay then you are protected though, no?

John Fabre
11-06-2012, 5:56 PM
If you do it legit, through eBay then you are protected though, no?

Why did he list an item on eBay if he is working outside the state. Some sellers do not hide bidders user id's, a scammer could of got it.

What is the eBay item number?

Rich Riddle
11-06-2012, 6:01 PM
Even legitimate second chance offers are the benefit to the seller, never the buyer. If you were the second highest bidder, the second chance offer will be for the highest you offered to pay for it. That's the benefit to the seller, not you. Look at the following example.

You bid $100 on an item that sells for $102.50. Then the seller sends you an offer to sell it for $100 because there was a complication with the sell. The next highest offer according to the auction was $45. That means you would have won for $46.

Many unscrupulous sellers have "shill" bids to increase bids. This is an easy way to get a higher bid. Simply tell the seller you never accept second chance offers and let the seller re-list the item.

You should consider using a sniping program to keep bids lower.

John Fabre
11-06-2012, 6:09 PM
You should consider using a sniping program to keep bids lower.
What is a sniping program? I may need to use this, buying all of these car parts.

Jerome Stanek
11-06-2012, 6:25 PM
I live in Ohio the item was listed pick up in Florida the seller is listed as California and now he wants to ship free after I pay. I told him I would only pay after I see it in operation and ready to pick it up. He wants a secure ebay pay which they do not have. He has 0 feed back it is a scam

Rich Riddle
11-06-2012, 6:26 PM
A sniping program is one that bids at the last moment. The advantage of it is that you can log into the program and withdraw your bid, lower it, increase it, etc. and it never impacts eBay until the last few seconds. I have used many through the years and now use Gixen. The basic service is free or you can use the paid service that is six dollars a year.

John Fabre
11-06-2012, 6:28 PM
I live in Ohio the item was listed pick up in Florida the seller is listed as California and now he wants to ship free after I pay. I told him I would only pay after I see it in operation and ready to pick it up. He wants a secure ebay pay which they do not have. It is a scam
Yes it is.

Matt Meiser
11-06-2012, 7:48 PM
Yeah definitely a scam then.

Erik Loza
11-06-2012, 10:08 PM
This particular auction might indeed be a scam but I would have to disagree that all second-chance offers are automatically scams. I have sold quite a bit of stuff on Ebay over the years and have experienced several deadbeat winning bidders. In those cases, I have issued second-chance offers and ended up selling my items succesfully. As always caveat emptor. You can always ask the seller a few questions and figure out in short order if it's legit or not. Just my 2-cents.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

John Fabre
11-06-2012, 10:32 PM
This particular auction might indeed be a scam but I would have to disagree that all second-chance offers are automatically scams. I have sold quite a bit of stuff on Ebay over the years and have experienced several deadbeat winning bidders. In those cases, I have issued second-chance offers and ended up selling my items succesfully. As always caveat emptor. You can always ask the seller a few questions and figure out in short order if it's legit or not. Just my 2-cents.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA
Some sellers will bid on their own items just to raise bids, using another id. This happens, eBay knows about them, but can not do nothing about it.

John Fabre
11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
A sniping program is one that bids at the last moment. The advantage of it is that you can log into the program and withdraw your bid, lower it, increase it, etc. and it never impacts eBay until the last few seconds. I have used many through the years and now use Gixen. The basic service is free or you can use the paid service that is six dollars a year.
Thanks Rich, this is good to know.

John Fabre
11-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I live in Ohio the item was listed pick up in Florida the seller is listed as California and now he wants to ship free after I pay. I told him I would only pay after I see it in operation and ready to pick it up. He wants a secure ebay pay which they do not have. He has 0 feed back it is a scam
I'm glad to see you didn't get taking.

Erik Loza
11-07-2012, 1:51 AM
Some sellers will bid on their own items just to raise bids, using another id. This happens, eBay knows about them, but can not do nothing about it.

You're probably right about that but on the other hand, the bidder is still in control of their max bid, so you can put the brakes on it any time you like.

I had a situation once where a lady won the auction on my item but sent me nasty emails because the other bidder she was dueling with during the final minutes of the auction was from Europe, and I listed US-only shipping. Her accusation was that she had been coerced into raising her bid by this "unauthorized" bidder and that she should not have to pay the (her) final bid price on the item, but rather, the other person's bid price.

My response to her was, "Why did you set your max bid at xxx-many dollars if you weren't willing to go that high?". More nasty emails and threats but she never did pay for the item. I gave the European guy a second-chance email (he wanted it shippd to his associate here in the US, so it turns out he was a legit buyer afterall..) and he did buy the item. Anyway, point being that I get it that some outfits might try to game the system to their advantage but the bidder still sets the real limit. Just my 2-cents, as always.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Larry Edgerton
11-07-2012, 6:24 AM
I recently bought a Volvo on Ebay, and I had problems. I paid for the car and the owner would not meet me to let me pick it up so I filed a request for reinbursement. I eventually go my money back through the Ebay insurance. The seller then filed a protest to get my negitive feedback removed, and was successful over my protests, even though Ebay had to pay me back.

I have not bought on Ebay since.

Larry