PDA

View Full Version : trouble finding nice hinges

Terry Starch
11-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello everyone, I build a good amount of small jewerly boxes. I am looking for a good place to purchase hinges for these. I have looked at local places and a few online. Please recommend me a place or three to check out. I mostly find brass hinges. Im sick of them......................

Todd Burch
11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I saw a setup several years ago where a guy used very small square brass tubing and a brass rod inside the tubing as the hinge assembly. Pretty clever and very low profile. Easy alignment too since the tubing was set and glued into a channel.

Todd

Jeff Duncan
11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Whitechapel is one of the best for hand made hardware....better have deep pockets though:eek:

I buy most of my nicer stuff from Horton Brass as they offer very nice stuff, custom finishes when needed, good prices and great customer service. I just don't know if they carry small jewelry box sized stuff though?

good luck,
JeffD

Paul Shaffer
11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
I second Horton Brasses. I like their PB-405 hinges for jewelry and treasure boxes.

Andrew Hughes
11-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Brusso hinges are my favovite,They are making some in SS steel.Once you get the square butt hinges mastered try one of their quadrant hinges.The lid will need to be thick for the leaf.They are very challenging. Andrew

Jim Rimmer
11-06-2012, 1:39 PM
Horton, Brusso, Lee Valley

glenn bradley
11-06-2012, 4:06 PM
Others have given you the regular sources I use. High quality, small box or jewelry box hardware is pricey and somewhat limited in style. On a small piece you don't want the hardware to steal the show so most offerings are a bit plain.

Victor Robinson
11-06-2012, 4:50 PM
Google Smarthinge and Neathinge. Unfortunately about $50, but they come in nickel and are really nice hinges.

Michael Heffernan
11-06-2012, 9:08 PM
I have been using Brusso brass hinges (Box and Quadrant types) for all my jewelry boxes and other cases. I like their knife hinges for cabinet doors as well. Excellent fit and finish, never had a problem. I found that 'Tools for Working Wood' is one of the cheapest sources for Brusso hardware http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/ (I have no affiliation with them, just a repeat customer). If you order 4 or more hardware packages from them, you get a discount. i think it's 10 or 20 percent.
White Chapel also makes excellent hardware, but I haven't used their smaller hinges for boxes.