PDA

View Full Version : Half & Half Sissoo HF

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2012, 12:29 AM
This is the last piece to come off the old lathe and it was hollowed on the new lathe, hence the half & half.
Turned endgrain from a small sissoo log. I turned the outside and drilled the center, on the Delta the day before I bought the Nova. I ran out of time to do the hollowing, so I wrapped it well in cling wrap and there it's sat for the past 10 days or so waiting for the new backrest plate that I needed to use my Jamieson system.
The backrest plate came today, so I got it set up and hollowed it out. It may be my imagination, but I swear the hollowing went easier on the Nova :D.

It's 5" x 4" ane the walls are about 1/16" or just a tad over. Finish is antique oil.
The log or branch was from a young tree, so there's no heartwood. Even some of the trunk logs (about 10") only have 2 - 3" of heartwood in the center. But even though the wood is pretty plain, it's wonderful wood to turn green!
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Dennis Ford
11-06-2012, 7:06 AM
It is a very nice form and must be as light as a feather. I like the rim detail.

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2012, 8:22 AM
Nice work Kathy! Glad to see you are setup for hollowing again! Enjoy!

Jenny Trice
11-06-2012, 3:15 PM
Kathy,

Are there any houses for sale next to you? I think I want to be your neighbor :-)

You put out such a steady array of creative turnings. Thanks for sharing.

Steve bellinger
11-06-2012, 4:31 PM
Kathy do you do any real work or do you just turn all day and all night.LOL Glad your putting that new nova to the test. O great looking piece by the way.

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

Kathy,

Are there any houses for sale next to you? I think I want to be your neighbor :-)

You put out such a steady array of creative turnings. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Jenny! There's always houses for sale next to me :eek:, 3 new neighbors in the past year and another one is moving out at the end of the month.

Kathy do you do any real work or do you just turn all day and all night.LOL Glad your putting that new nova to the test. O great looking piece by the way.
Thanks Steve! Work all day, turn all night. Isn't that how it's supposed to be? ;)

Mark Hubl
11-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Good form, looks pretty thin. That new lathe is getting a workout.

Donny Lawson
11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Very nice work Kathy. What hollowing tools did you use for that? I'm looking into getting some for Christmas and wondering what to look for. They are all expensive but I have been looking at the Easy wood brand. Any suggestions?