PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton and compressed air

Mike Cruz
11-06-2012, 12:24 AM
While I know that chip build up is one of the biggest battles with coring, I guess I didn't realize just how much...

I was joking with someone a while back about an idea I had, and tonight, I put it to the test. With the blade in (and making SURE the handle was being held up), I aimed the nozzle of my compressed air hose into the kerf with my left hand and kept a steady stream of air flowing in... WOW, that worked like a charm! What I need to come up with now is some sort of "arm" that holds the air nozzle in place so I can free up my left hand. Anyone (I can't be the first to think of or actually do this) have a set up already? Pics would be great. Thanks.

Richard Jones
11-06-2012, 4:46 AM
Mike,

I've done the same thing, just didn't like the air running constantly. Got to help with heat buildup as well........

What about trying some magnets and see where that leads? I have one of the long nozzles, so I was thinking some type of bracket, drilled for the nozzle dia., that would "magnet" to the tool rest, insert nozzle, then velcro/rubber band/etc. to hold down the trigger. Maybe even some o-rings that would grip the nozzle a bit. Whatever it is, it should be easy to go on and off, and the nozzle in and out, yes?

Something to play with this week. Another cottage industry idea forming.................we'll make a fortune............ a fortune I tell you!!!!!!

Mike Cruz
11-06-2012, 7:12 AM
Hey, Richard, I like where you are going with this. BTW, the nozzle doesn't need to go IN the kerf, just outside it, and pointing in. And constant air works great. If you have to stop and let your compressor catch up, that's fine. It'll still go way quicker... Keep me/us updated with what you come up with!

Richard Jones
11-06-2012, 8:37 AM
Mike,

Actually played just a bit with it this morning. I thought the air nozzle was aluminum, but it's steel, so the magnets may be just the ticket.

I didn't mean to infer that I put the nozzle in the kerf, sorry. My intent was to say to insert the nozzle into the bracket, then just aim the whole rig.

Patent office, here we come.....................I may have to take off from work today to try to schedule how I'm going to spend all the money we'll make............

Bob Bergstrom
11-06-2012, 8:43 AM
I would consider using a ball valve with some small copper tubing instead of a traditional trigger valve. You would be able to regulate the amount of air necessary to blow the chips out of various size bowls.

Frank Pearsall
11-06-2012, 9:30 AM
Perhaps we could use a length of clear plastic tubing from the end of the air hose to a nozzle to reduce the weight. It could be attached on top of the McNaughton gate. So what' my share of the windfall profits?

Richard Jones
11-06-2012, 9:40 AM
I love brainstorming.......................

Mike Cruz
11-06-2012, 9:43 AM
You guys are awesome!

Richard Jones
11-06-2012, 9:55 AM
..................So what' my share of the windfall profits?

I'll have to run it by Corporate....................

Frank Pearsall
11-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Hmmm... perhaps attached to the gate with a hose clamp and a rare earth magnet for easy adjustment and removal.

Do I get a bigger cut now? Cha-ching!

Jerry Marcantel
11-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Use a foot operated valve. That way, you only supply air when needed, and it's hand free..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Mike Cruz
11-06-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm liking the idea of a ball valve with hose and a rare earth magnet holding the tip of the hose just above the cutter. The challenge might be that attaching the hose to top of the "rest" (the part that you maintain upward pressure on) might put it in the right place, but it "moves", does it not?

Mike Cruz
11-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Man, Jerry's getting in on the $, too! :D

Reed Gray
11-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I never considered this one, though I do think I heard some one mention that it might work once a while ago. After grinding off the spear point to a square point, chip plug ups are much fewer. I always thought the air hose would be too much add on.

robo hippy

Bob Bergstrom
11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
As my coring techniques got better the catches and chip plug ups became less. Just pulled back a litte and most disappear, but always am open to new ideas. Hope to see a prototype soon. Mike always gets things going around the creek.

Richard Madden
11-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't have a coring system yet...but I'm reading this with a lot of interest anyway.

Jerry Marcantel
11-06-2012, 1:23 PM
Mike, I'll only want a half percent. ... I'm not greedy. hehehe
I've been pushing that idea around for some time now, especially when I'm boring holes on the lathe. I do have a foot valve on my horizontal boring machine that could be easily remove and fitted to the lathe. Thanks for bringing that problem up.. .... Jerry (in Tucson)

Man, Jerry's getting in on the $, too! :D

Frank Pearsall
11-06-2012, 1:40 PM
The reason I'm interested is that my lathe has a 1.5 hp motor, barely enough power to use the McNaughton. I get by, using higher rpms (a tip from Reed's McNaughton DVD). Like Mike, I have successful experimented with "air extraction" of chips, and it seems to help keep the rpms up.

I've lucked into an endless supply of post-arborist wood, and plan to start turning larger diameter bowls. Coring is a part of the plan. As a native Tennessean, perhaps a little southern engineering and a lot of collaborative help from fellow Creekers will yield a workable design.

I'm going to give it a try and I'll keep you posted along the way.

Now where do you suppose I can get a modestly priced foot-powered air valve?

Mike Cruz
11-06-2012, 4:30 PM
Please DO keep us updated, Frank! And when you find one of those modestly priced foot-powered air valves, let me know...who knows, we may have a big order. :rolleyes:

Dale Bright
11-07-2012, 8:59 AM
I have used compressed air for clearing shavings while coring but with the lathe stopped. Today, I will be coring a couple of large Maple blanks and I will try it both with consatnt air and intermittently with the lathe running. I am thinking that the wetter the wood, the more air pressure it will take.

Dale

Mike Cruz
11-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Dale, you saw pics of what I cored. Not particularly wet, but certainly not dry! I'd like to know your results. BTW, I have one of those black rubber restrictors on my air nozzle. So my cfm wasn't really high, yet there was a constant flow. Also, I'm running a 60 gallon air compressor.