PDA

View Full Version : sharping planner blades

Mike Stanton
04-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Does anyone sharping they planner blades? I have the dewalt 735 planner blades are not cheap. Thanks for any help Mikie :D

Steve Clardy
04-21-2005, 2:27 AM
I have mine sharpened. $40.00 for [4] 20" knives isn't a bad price to get them sharp and even.
Steve

Keith Outten
04-21-2005, 4:40 AM
Mike,

I bought the Makita 9820 slow speed sharpener years ago to sharpen my planer and joiner blades. It does a great job and has saved me many times the cost of the sharpener. I highly reccomend the Makita.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1460&HS=1

CPeter James
04-21-2005, 7:43 AM
Get the green wheel from Highland Hardware to go with the Makita Sharpener, It really helps to get the big nicks out.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1462

CPeter

Tom Jones III
04-21-2005, 8:50 AM
Sharpening has never been my forte, how much skill does this machine require? For $319, it would take about 2 years for me to recover the cost, which isn't bad. One thing about being able to sharpen my own knives, I wouldn't be as likely to continue using dull knives.

Keith Outten
04-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Tom,

You'll get the hang of shapening in no time, the Makita will put a mirror edge on your blades and straight as an arrow. There are other benefits as well, if you pay attention when sharpening you can detect cracks in a blade but that subject a bit complex, maybe an article is brewing :)

Dennis McDonaugh
04-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Does anyone sharping they planner blades? I have the dewalt 735 planner blades are not cheap. Thanks for any help Mikie :D

Aren't the Dewalt blades indexed? If they are, sharpening them is a crapshoot since you can't adjust them.

Nick Mitchell
04-21-2005, 8:40 PM
I thought the 735 blades were disposable :confused: I wouldn't sharpen them.

also imo, it's not cost effective to spend time sharpening jointer or planer blades..get an extra set and send them out for a pro to do them, no muss no fuss