PDA

View Full Version : Gluing up "cutting board"

Sammy Shuford
04-20-2005, 10:56 PM
I have dimensioned maple and walnut for a cutting board, and expect to be ready to glue up tomorrow or Friday. I'm not sure about the glue up process. Glue up the entire board at one time, or glue in sections and the glue the sections together.

Any suggestions?:)

Ernie Nyvall
04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi Sammy, is it going to be an end grain board, and if so, have you already cut the little pieces?

Ernie

Cecil Arnold
04-20-2005, 11:48 PM
I glued mine up at one time then ran it through a 13" thickness planer.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-21-2005, 8:27 AM
I glued the few that I have done all at once. I used cauls on either end and pipe clamps in the middle. When it was dry I ran it through the planer to clean it up.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-21-2005, 8:59 AM
All at once is the only way I have ever done it. I love making cutting boards!!

Sammy Shuford
04-21-2005, 9:40 AM
Hi Sammy, is it going to be an end grain board, and if so, have you already cut the little pieces?

Ernie

Nope, My wife will use it to cut up vegies, so I going long grain on this one.

Tom Jones III
04-21-2005, 9:47 AM
Can you run an end grain cutting board through the planer?

Dennis McDonaugh
04-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Can you run an end grain cutting board through the planer?

Tom, I run them through my 15" Jet planer with no problems. I don't know that I'd do it with a lunchbox planer. There is tear out on the back edge so I learned to make them slightly over size.

Ernie Nyvall
04-21-2005, 7:15 PM
I glue them up all at once. Make sure you have clamping blocks on the top and bottom at each end and in the middle (depending on how long the board will be) as well as the clamps that pull the strips together from the side. My top and bottom blocks have teflon tape on them. I slightly tighten them first so the boards are flat with each other. The glue wont stick to the teflon and it also allows for the boards to slide together as you tighten the side clamps.

Ernie

Sammy Shuford
04-24-2005, 12:36 AM
A couple of pictures on my website.
Thanks for the advise!:D

http://www.dawalnut.com/gallery/album09