PDA

View Full Version : finishing

fred henkin
11-05-2012, 1:44 PM
I started spraying a minwax satin finish on a small project. Actually wanted to use a semi gloss. Any idea if I can put a final coat of semi gloss over the satin finish?

Jeff Duncan
11-05-2012, 4:29 PM
Yup....however the satin is going to "dull" your semi-gloss finish down a bit. For future reference the best bet for getting a semi-gloss is using a high gloss for the first coat(s), and the semi for the final coat. This will give you the most clarity of finish. Not to say you won;t get a good finish just building coats of semi, but each additional coat adds more dulling agent affecting the final look.

good luck,
JeffD

Jerry Thompson
11-05-2012, 4:56 PM
I almost always apply high gloss then rub it out to the sheen I want. That way I only buy one type of gloss and can excersize my own tastes, such as they are.

George Gyulatyan
11-05-2012, 7:52 PM
Also,

If you get a satin finish, but want it to be more glossy, don't stir the can. Carefully dispense the finish in another container, making sure you leave most of the flatting agents at the bottom of the can where they'll usually be settled and then stir/mix the finish in the second container.

This way you can adjust the sheen of your finish to a certain degree, although you can never get an exact match from can to can... obviously.