PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Natural Edge Bowl??

Thomas Canfield
11-04-2012, 8:11 PM
What method do you use to burn the edge of a natural edge bowl? I have a cherry bowl that is about 16" x9" oval with 5/16" wall. The bark came off and I was thinking about trying to burn the edge or use some marker to darken the rim for contrast. The cherry has some nice grain variation and some other bowls from the wood have taken a nice finish using Tripoli buff and multiple coats of oil/poly.

Paul Williams
11-04-2012, 8:54 PM
I have used my woodburner to darken the edge of bowls after I lost portions of the bark. different tips can produce different textures. I like a flat broad tip unless I am trying to match the testure of bark.

Bill Bolen
11-04-2012, 8:58 PM
don't have a wood burner so I use an old soldering iron.

Jim Burr
11-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Several months ago, Baxter and I posted a few burned things. Propane torch...very, very slowly. It will check when you burn it, so make that part of the design or fill the checks with something dark

Thomas Canfield
11-05-2012, 9:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I just need to take my time with a heat source, and for a large surface, the propane torch sounds like a good option. An electric wood burner would be a safer choice but I don't have anything that large and a pen burner would take forever.

Eric Gourieux
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Don't disregard a pen burner too quickly. I just burned the edge of a NE pecan bowl that I had at an art studio and part of the bark "went missing". It is about 10" in dia with 3/8 inch sides and the pen burner worked very well. It generates plenty of heat and is easy to control. It is way too easy to create more heat/fire and subsequent damage than you intend.