PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Dovetail Jig

Sean Walker
11-04-2012, 5:24 PM
Does anyone own this jig? I have spent the better part of the last 2 days trying to make perfect dovetails with this thing and I just can't seem to get it right. I have tear out like crazy, the sticker on the right side of the jig with the lettering (E,F and so on) is 1/8 inch off from the left side, and I can't get the two boards to be flush on the top and bottom when they are fit together. If anyone could throw some wisdom my way, It will be appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant :)!

Jim Rimmer
11-04-2012, 8:15 PM
I have one but haven't used it in along time (I bought a used Leigh from a Creeker). Tearout can be reduced by using backer boards and on the front make a very light climbing cut across the face before you make the normal cut; this will kind of score the cut and help with tearout. As for the E,F labels, it's been a long time but I remember making several (and I mean several) test cuts before I finally got everything set up the first time i used the jig, Next time was easier. If Rockler store is not too far, go look at another jig to make sure you don't have a QA problem with your label installation.

Mike Henderson
11-04-2012, 11:16 PM
I owned one at one time. It was difficult to set up and limited in what I could do with it. I sold it and never missed it.

Mike