PDA

View Full Version : Just Goofin Off

Greg Heppeard
04-20-2005, 7:39 PM
I was messin around in the shop and this is what happened. The roof is Osage orange, the box is Brazilian cherry, the door is quilted maple and the flag is bloodwood. Finish is 3 coats of General Finish's Armour Seal.

Thanks for looking

Ralph Barhorst
04-20-2005, 7:47 PM
Greg - It looks great!!

I have been thinking about making a mail box but I was concerned about the finish. Is your finish good for outside use? If so then when do you expect that you will need to re-finish it?

Greg Heppeard
04-20-2005, 7:54 PM
It's not a good outdoor finish, General Finish makes an outdoor oil that is supposed to be pretty good. I suspect you would have to clean and re-finish yearly or every other year. I made this one for the counter at work to keep the outgoing mail in.

Dennis Peacock
04-20-2005, 8:05 PM
Now THAT's what I call a real woodworkers mailbox!!!! Georgeous.....simply beautimus!!!!! :D

Terry Hatfield
04-20-2005, 8:53 PM
Hey Greg,

Now that's a cool mail box!!!!

t

Corey Hallagan
04-20-2005, 8:55 PM
Nice job, it looks great!!

Corey

Jim Becker
04-20-2005, 9:34 PM
Better fasten that one SECURELY to the post...or it will "walk"!! Nice job!!

lou sansone
04-20-2005, 9:39 PM
what a great idea. lou

Andy London
04-20-2005, 9:43 PM
That is a beauty!!! I could not bring myself to put that at the end of the drive, aside from the kids probably taking it home...that is a piece of art bud!!

Keith Outten
04-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Great lookin box, just the ticket for the counter in your store but I have one suggestion.
Get the door laser engraved, that would be very cool!

Dan Mages
04-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Look nice!!!

However, I dont think it is postmaster approved. ;)

Dan

Wes Newman
04-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Greg, That should make any mail man's day!!!

Ernie Nyvall
04-20-2005, 11:21 PM
That's some mail box Greg. Bolt it down good.

Ernie

Greg Heppeard
04-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Great lookin box, just the ticket for the counter in your store but I have one suggestion.
Get the door laser engraved, that would be very cool!

I was actually thinking about having the flag engraved

Tom Mullane
04-21-2005, 7:41 AM
I considered a custom box like that for my home, unfortunately the idiot teenagers in the general area consider it "good sport" to bash mailboxes at night.... lost 2 in one year ... then got smart...put up a 3" metal post filled with concrete and made a wood box over it for camoflage.... Bought a thick metal mailbox and mounted it before the concrete set with deep bolts.... HA HA HA.. watched the kid's pickup come down the road and the kid in the back hawl off with a baseball bat... ... OOOOOPS... He could not figure out how he got tossed out of the truck.... and to make matters ever worse, his buddies kept going while I held him for the local police to take him home.... have not lost a mailbox on our road since.....
The only think that really bothered me, is that his parents were upset that I made a mailbox that could hurt him.... he was only out having some fun....

Jeff Sudmeier
04-21-2005, 8:33 AM
Tom,

Great job! I also had parents get upset when I tackled a teenager a year or so ago... He was trying to let me dog out of his kennel.

And I quote "He was just trying to play with him". GIVE ME A BREAK!

Back to the subject at hand, that is a WONDERFUL looking mailbox! It really looks too nice to be outdoors. Glad it will live it's life indoors :)

Kelly C. Hanna
04-21-2005, 8:51 AM
Now that's a top shelf mailbox!!!