PDA

View Full Version : Putting on table top with one person

Scott Davis
11-04-2012, 1:48 PM
I am dismantling an old Powermatic 66 I got, to replace the belts and check out inside. This top is heavy! It was hard to get off, and I don't know how I am going to get it back on. Anyone have tip for getting the 3 bolts placed on this thing to get it in? I guess some kind of rig with sawhorses at exactly the right height?

scott vroom
11-04-2012, 4:04 PM
Rent an engine hoist, or offer a friend a 6-pak.

I am dismantling an old Powermatic 66 I got, to replace the belts and check out inside. This top is heavy! It was hard to get off, and I don't know how I am going to get it back on. Anyone have tip for getting the 3 bolts placed on this thing to get it in? I guess some kind of rig with sawhorses at exactly the right height?

glenn bradley
11-04-2012, 8:44 PM
SCott's got it. In lieu of friends being handy, the rental yard is your friend.

Chris Fournier
11-05-2012, 10:04 AM

You have the right idea: rigid horses and block it up to height. Roll cabinet under the table and remove blocks. Throw the horses together with framing lumber, fast, inexpensive, effective. Of course you could remove the two side "wings". They are easy to put back on and you will lighten your load considerably - perhaps enough to make this a simply chore for you?

I wouldn't bother going the rental route as this is not that tough a task for one guy as long as you move slowly and carefully.

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Come-a-long, a couple of nylon straps and a floor joist..................Rod.

michael osadchuk
11-05-2012, 9:38 PM
Similar to Rod Sheridan's suggestion: a couple of web clamps passed thru two sets of two eyes screwed into overhead joists/rafters

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACGW_enCA387CA387&q=picture+of+web+clamp

I've used this gear to lift cabinet saws onto mobile bases, etc.

good luck

michael

Joseph Tarantino
11-05-2012, 9:47 PM

yes, if you're referring to remounting the TS extension wings. get two lengths of 2x4 (3-4' each) and 4 ~10-12" one handed bar clamps. set up a saw horse or even an outfeed roller stand next to the TS to support the wing. clamp the 2x4s to the wings and rest the wings on the temporary support with the 2x4s extending over the saw table. clamp the 2x4 to the saw table. now the wings are at the same height as the table. a little gentle shifting left or right (fore or aft, relative to the saw operator's position) and the screws to attach the wings to the table will fit in nice and easy.

Scott Davis
11-06-2012, 9:53 AM
Thanks! Some great ideas

Rick Potter
11-06-2012, 12:40 PM
If you have the ceiling structure for it, a cheap chain hoist from HF, or even better, a cheap electric hoist from HF. I have the electric one in my garage for removing heavy stuff from the pickup. It also works great for lifting tools to put mobile bases under them, etc.

Rick Potter

scott vroom
11-06-2012, 1:05 PM
I get nervous when I hear "cheap" and "hoist" in the same sentence....lol.

If you have the ceiling structure for it, a cheap chain hoist from HF, or even better, a cheap electric hoist from HF. I have the electric one in my garage for removing heavy stuff from the pickup. It also works great for lifting tools to put mobile bases under them, etc.

Rick Potter

Bill ThompsonNM
11-06-2012, 3:49 PM
I get nervous when I hear "cheap" and "hoist" in the same sentence....lol.
True, but I have been using a HF 1 ton chain hoist for a year now. Well built and works great. I'm not pushing it to its limits, I think that would a bad idea, but I am using it to lift up heavy 600-800 lb machinery. My reasoning is that in our litigious society you would have to be really stupid to put your brand name on a dangerous host! That and, of course, hoists are pretty simple. I didn't opt for an electrical hoist. I suspect thy have a much shorter lifetime.