PDA

View Full Version : Sharpeners

Simon OConnor
04-20-2005, 6:15 PM
Interested in getting a sharpener to handle my jointer (8") and planer (13") knives along with handtools, mostly chisels and plane blades. I know about the Tormek. This seems to be a good system but appears grossly overpriced when you add in accessories. I also have seen the Makita horizontal wet stone wheel that I have heard good things about.

What product do you guys use/recommend?

CPeter James
04-20-2005, 7:22 PM
Get the Makita and then get the green wheel from Highland Hardware. The Makita will put a straighter edge on you blades than the Tormek. It is all in the way they work

CPeter

Larry Ogborn
04-20-2005, 9:06 PM
I have the Makita and use it for my 13" planer blades and 8" jointer blades. I also have the "green wheel". The system is easy and fast. Does
a great job.

Larry

John Strait
04-20-2005, 9:55 PM
How is the Makita for sharpening chisels and plane blades? I have read a lot of good about it for the planer and jointer sharpening.

Thanks,

John

Ian Barley
04-21-2005, 2:55 AM
Bear in mind that the other real alternative is to not buy anything.

I have tried a Rexon machine similar to the Makita and a Tormek for sharpening planer blades. Neither was nearly as successful as sending them out to a pro. If you have a sharpening service nearby then find out what they charge. Comparing the results and the time and effort involved using a pro works out much better for me.

CPeter James
04-21-2005, 7:47 AM
I have the Makita and I can remove, sharpen, and replace the blades in my Jet 15" in under 45 minutes. It is nice to have sharp blades when you need them. Also you blades will last longer if you touch them up regularly, rather than wait until they are really dull.

CPeter

Ed Lang
04-21-2005, 7:54 AM
Will any of these machines work with my 20" Grizzly planer blades?

Maurice Ungaro
04-21-2005, 9:29 AM
Get the Makita (I did, and was fortuante to find it at Highland Hardware's Fall Tent Sale - on their Bargain Table for $100!), it handles up to 16" blades. Yes, it even does great with chisels. Heck, I sharpen my kitchen knives and pocket knives on it.

Keith Outten
04-21-2005, 12:29 PM
I also vote for the Makita, I would never trust my blades to a Pro.

Michael Perata
04-21-2005, 5:14 PM
I don't know about jointer knives since I use Tersa blades but for sharpening hand tools - LapSharp by Wood Artistry. Pricey but the best.
http://www.woodartistry.com/Products-LapSharp200.htm