PDA

View Full Version : Venturi Vacuum bag system?

David Kuzdrall
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Has anyone here worked with the Venturi kit for a vacuum press as listed below:

http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Project-V2-Auto-Cycling-Venturi-Vacuum-Press-Kit.html

I going to need to glue up some bent, laminated panels for speaker sides with thin (1/8 or 1/4) MDF on a fairly mild radius (~24") as well as use it for veneering.

Will this type of system provide enough vacuum to glue up my laminated panels properly?

THX

Thomas S Stockton
11-04-2012, 11:51 AM
David
Should work fine, what's also important is how much cfm the unit pulls down, which will evacuate the bag quicker. I would spend the extra $10 and get the plus model. The stuff joe sells good and equal to any other source so you won't be disappointed.
Tom

David Kuzdrall
11-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Will do. My compressor is rated at ~5.5cfm at 90 PSI so I should have just enough airflow to run the larger venturi.

Alan Wright
11-04-2012, 6:53 PM
I built this same system, and it works very well. You should have no problems...

Peter Quinn
11-04-2012, 6:59 PM
I got the V2 premium kit, I think its around 5.5CFM of vacuum flow? Works great, will handle any work. And it pull pulls down a bag pretty fast. I use a 5 gal portable air tank as the vacuum reservoir instead of the PVC tanks as in the instructions on the Joe wood worker site. Saw that in the project build section from another Joe user. That combined with the larger venturi makes a really quick system for flat work, and makes it a bit quicker for curves. Will it provide enough vacuum? Certainly, make sure your forms are solid or they will be crushed, or use an exterior form technique.

James Conrad
11-04-2012, 7:39 PM
I bought the V2 Plus kit a few months ago after my old pump imploded. It's very easy to build, good components, you'll be happy with it. I could have gone with the premium kit with the compressor I have, but glad I saved the money as the Plus kit is plenty fast. I ended up adding a second vacuum valve and hose so that I can pull down 2 bags by pulling vacuum on bag 1 shutting the valve, pulling vacuum on bag 2 and then opening both valves to maintain vacuum - the system has no problem keeping up with both this way. The venturi is very quiet as well.