PDA

View Full Version : Just some beginners work..

Jay Jolliffe
11-04-2012, 9:22 AM
I'm just starting out & learning a lot from here through all your posts. Just a few of what I've done so far that turned out OK244747244748 This is Maple as you can see. It's 10''x71/2'' Finish is just spray on poly
.244749244750 This is Mahogany & it's 10 1/2''. Finish is Mylands friction polish....Any comments are welcome....

Allan Ferguson
11-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Looking very good.

Mark Hubl
11-04-2012, 10:50 AM
You are doing well. Love the figure on the maple piece, really hard to keep the corners on your first attempts at square pieces. Good work, keep them coming.

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice work Jay! I love turning curly maple and you sure brought this chunk of wood to life!

I like the form on your Mahogany bowl. Not 100% sure about the finish though... just my experience, but friction polish never seemed to hold up very well.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

jared herbert
11-04-2012, 11:28 AM
A question about the rectangular maple piece. I am assuming you turned a round plate and then cut it down to make a rectangular piece. Is that correct and if so how did you cut it down. I bought a rectangular tray from a guy last summer and was trying to pick his brain about how he did it. He said he cut it down on some sort of sled and the cuts were made with the blade set at an angle, not 90 degrees to the sides show a slight curve inward, a very nice affect. I have been looking at it for a while but just cant get it straight in my mind how it was done. I will try to post a picture of it later. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. Jared

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Really nice looking pieces. Love the maple. I agree with Steve that Friction polish just doesn't last.

Reed Gray
11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
When I do square ones like that, I start with a square or rectangular block of wood. Too much work to turn it, cut off the sides, then sand it again. It is just like turning a natural edge piece. I used to strive for even side thickness for the entire piece, but saw some one who made the comment that it looks better if you gradually get a tiny bit thicker as you go in towards the center. I now do it that way.

robo hippy

Jay Jolliffe
11-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the input on my pieces....The maple rectangle was turned as is. I didn't turn it round then cut the sides off. I think that would be cheating:).The only thing I did was square up the corners a little as one was chipped. As far as the finish any suggestion would be appreciated. That's the first finished besides the poly on the maple piece that I've used. I like turning maple the best so far.

Josh Bowman
11-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Very nice work! I like the forms and the wood. Look forward to your next ones.,

John Teichert
10-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I like the barely discernible foot on the square platter, but probably would have tried for just a tad more sweep (that usually gets me in trouble though with just one more light pass syndrome). Lovely treatment on the edges of the Mahogany piece.

William Payer
10-19-2013, 5:10 PM
Very nice work Jay! Are you sure you are a beginner? :)

Mike Cruz
10-20-2013, 7:37 AM
Well, a year ago, he was...;)

kevin nee
10-22-2013, 8:20 AM
Nice job on both pieces. ONE PROBLEM! Once you see something like that maple piece come
together you will ask yourself "HOW WOULD IT LOOK IN 24 INCH" that means bigger lathe more
tools bigger shop and longer rides searching for wood. GOOD LUCK!

Chip Sutherland
10-22-2013, 1:28 PM
Beginner? A rectanglular bowl? wow!!!

Mike Cruz
10-22-2013, 3:20 PM
Kevin, by now, he has one.

Chip, not anymore...