PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Grinder and CBN Wheels

Alan Beck
11-04-2012, 8:09 AM
I own a Woodcraft slow speed grinder, and attempted to install a CBN wheel from D-Way. My problem is that the shaft is too short to connect. Any suggestions?

Dale Bright
11-04-2012, 8:28 AM
Alan, did you remove the wheel shroud? It is not needed with the CBN wheel as the metal wheel will not fracture and hurl pieces at you.

Dale

Tony De Masi
11-04-2012, 8:28 AM
Did you take off the inside part of the original wheel cover closest to the motor? That's what I had to do.

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2012, 10:55 AM
I totally removed the metal shroud from the grinder. It is great to be able to see what you are doing while grinding!

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Ditto the above.

Reed Gray
11-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I just went out to the shop to check it out. I have one of the older WC blueish grinders, and to get the CBN wheel up to the collar on the shaft, you either have to grind off the screw holes on the inside of the shroud (there for attaching the platforms that come standard on the grinder), or remove the shroud. It is not needed or necessary. The flanged washers that come with the grinders do not work on this type of wheel, so junk them, and if you do need a washer, Dave does make a bushing with one machined onto it, or the stamped washers from the local big box stores will work okay. I have noticed, even on my Baldor grinders that there is a tiny bit of side ways wobble when starting up the grinder, but they run very true when up to speed. I did have several of the stamped washers on to space the wheel out, and this made a difference. I got some machined washers, and that made the wheels run better. It was the same results with all 3 CBN wheels, D Way, Optigrind, and Cuttermaster.

robo hippy

Alan Beck
11-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Thank You to ALL who replied. I am now up and running with the CBN wheel. That's what is so great about this forum, great community!!

Thanks again,

Al

Dave Mueller
11-04-2012, 9:08 PM
Alan,
Although a little off topic, I thought I'd mention that I had significant run-out with my CBN wheel and bushing from D-Way. The wheel and bushing are very well machined, so their relative position has no effect on the run-out. However, if you do have any wobble or run-out, loosen the nut and adjust the bushing a few degrees and measure again. Keep trying until you have minimum run-out. I started with 0.022" and ended with 0.003".
Dave