PDA

View Full Version : Paint Sprayers - Cheap!

Russ Filtz
04-20-2005, 6:02 PM
Any recommendations for a house paint sprayer? I need to paint my shed (too many crevices, etc for rolloers, brushes). I know cheap ones tend to clog, etc., but will something like a Wagner last long enough for a shed? Cheap enough, and I'll just toss it after! Probably use latex?

John Pollman
04-20-2005, 7:13 PM
Rent one !

By the time you spend enough to buy even a "throw away" unit, you can rent a very nice airless unit from Home Depot. A few months ago we rented one to spray the ceiling in my neighbors basement. The thing was very easy to use, and clean up. You'll get a much better job and a LOT less frustration too. I've had a couple of those Wagners and I've sworn them off for good.

Just my .02

John

Russ Filtz
04-20-2005, 8:29 PM
I agree after reading some of the reviews of the cheaper ones. What about something like the airless Paint Crew? A bit more expensive, but at least some of the reviews are positive.

Cecil Arnold
04-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Last week the wife and I spent 6 hours cutting in the door and window trim on a 1240 sq.ft house, then rented an airless for $65 and finished painting in about two hours. It took longer to clean the unit than to paint. I also didn't have to find a place to store it when through. That is the second time in a year I have rented a unit and it is still cheaper than owning a good quality sprayer.

Brian Hale
04-23-2005, 7:26 PM
In my mind, this would be a good time to get a nice HVLP outfit that can also be used for finishing your woodworking projects.

Brian

Russ Filtz
04-24-2005, 10:50 AM
I would love to do that, but my current finances preclude it!

Ken Kimbrell
04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Rent one !

By the time you spend enough to buy even a "throw away" unit, you can rent a very nice airless unit from Home Depot. A few months ago we rented one to spray the ceiling in my neighbors basement. The thing was very easy to use, and clean up. You'll get a much better job and a LOT less frustration too. I've had a couple of those Wagners and I've sworn them off for good.

Just my .02

John

What John said!
Through the years I've remodeled several houses (& out-buildings) and while by no means being an 'expert' painter I have applied a few gallons (100's)...
There is no way you will catch me doing more that a couple of gallons by hand, and as for the cheap throw-away stuff, tried it & took it back!;)

If your current project, or your furture plans don't justify the purchase on an air-less system, then as John mentioned you can rent one from HD, or from most paint stores and the cost for one day would be about 50-60 bucks. Air-less is easier to use than the throw aways, IMHO, and will do a lot better & lot quicker job. And, if you have a really rough or textured surface it will give you a far better result, in less time and will likely use less paint than you could get with brushes and rollers.

Ps: You don't need a real high dollar machine if you buy one, my current one cost about $400.00 at HD three years ago and has held up just fine through three houses so far and I expect to do at least two more with it before replacing any parts. (usually the spray tips go first, haven't priced them lately, but think they are less than 50 bucks each) As for everything else, if you take care of the machine they last a good long time.

Pat Monahan
04-25-2005, 2:21 AM
Russ
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I sent you a PM. Did you get it, or did I mess up the technology - seems I can do that quite well:D
Thanks
Pat