PDA

View Full Version : Silk Oak cored bowls

Kathy Marshall
11-04-2012, 3:53 AM
Saturday morning I fired up the chain saw to cut a big bowl blank from one of my silk oak logs, so I could try coring on the new Nova :D. It should have been enough for a 14" blank, but a wrong turn on the bandsaw required a reduction to a 12" blank :eek:.

Got the blank mounted up and started roughing.
Got the outside finished and then turned a recess on the top to mount the core for turning new tenons as I went along.
Got the first core cut soooooo much quicker than with my old lathe :D.
Ended up with just 3 bowls, 12" x 4 1/4", 9 3/4" x 2 1/4" and 7 1/2" x 1 1/2" all finished with walnut oil.
I'm very happy with how the coring went. It's a huge difference between the old lathe and the new. I didn't have any problems with bogging down, although I did stop the lathe a couple of times when the kerf got clogged with shavings. But even with the lathe stopping it wasnt' a problem since the programing sensed the bind and cut power to the spindle.
I do need to get a longer post for the tool gate. It's too short to lock into the banjo, so it just sits on top of the lockdown bolt and that just barely gets the knife on center. I'll feel better when I can lock it down tight and adjust the height a little.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Roger Chandler
11-04-2012, 6:41 AM
Really nice work, K!

Doug W Swanson
11-04-2012, 8:03 AM
Great looking bowls, Kathy!

John Kent
11-04-2012, 8:42 AM
Way to go Kathy! It seems you have a new love affair in your life with that lathe.:) I would like to see you step your production up as it seems you are slacking up.:rolleyes:

Greg Just
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice job. What coring system are you using?

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow those look great Kathy. What coring system?

Reed Gray
11-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Looks like a McNaughton tool rest there.

For me, rather than turn a recess for the cores, I use a forstner bit on the drill press. I use that for mounting to turn the bottom and recess or tenon. No face plate ever.

robo hippy

Kathy Marshall
11-05-2012, 2:08 AM
Thanks guys1

Way to go Kathy! It seems you have a new love affair in your life with that lathe.:) I would like to see you step your production up as it seems you are slacking up.:rolleyes:
Thanks John! Yep, I admit it, I've fallen in love with my lathe! :D I have a feeling you're going to get your wish, got lots of things I need to turn and I need to get busy!

Nice job. What coring system are you using?

Wow those look great Kathy. What coring system?
Thanks Greg and Bernie! Like Reed said, I've got the McNaughton system.

Baxter Smith
11-05-2012, 9:02 PM
Looks good Kathy! Glad the upgrade is still bringing a smile to your face!

Dick Mahany
11-05-2012, 9:15 PM
Looks like loads of fun ! That new lathe is going to open new worlds and the coring method is looking very good. Have fun and the results are great. Never tried the coring process but it sure looks like it must be more difficult than it appears.

Bob Hamilton
11-05-2012, 9:56 PM
Looks good, Kathy!
I am surprised the post is too short. The post on my McNaughton was long enough to use with the Nova banjo on my DVR. Had you shortened the post to use it with your other lathe?

Take care
Bob

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Looks good, Kathy!
I am surprised the post is too short. The post on my McNaughton was long enough to use with the Nova banjo on my DVR. Had you shortened the post to use it with your other lathe?

Take care
Bob
Thanks Bob! Does your post lock into your banjo or does it just sit on top of the locking bolt? I don't think I shortened mine, but I'll double check. I may just make a spacer to hold it at the right height and keep it from damaging the threads on the bolt.

Bob Hamilton
11-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi, Kathy:
I actually turned a collar (1" or so long) to keep the turret at the correct height but even with the collar in place the post was easily long enough to lock into the banjo. My DVR was an older model than the XP but I don't think the banjo was any different.

Take care
Bob

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks Bob,
I checked my post tonight and yep, looks like I shortened it to work with the Delta :eek:, so I just need to order a new post and it will be good to go.

Bob Hamilton
11-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Hi, Kathy:
I dug out my McNaughton turret and measured the post. It has 3 7/8" of exposed post when seated into the turret and hold down bracket. The collar I turned was ~1 1/8" to put the cutter on center height, so there would be 2 3/4" of post sticking down into the top of the banjo.

Take care
Bob

Reed Gray
11-08-2012, 1:31 PM
I had to go out and check my posts. They are all around 4 inch plus long. The collar I use is 2 1/4 inch high. Not much left in the banjo, but the Robust has a wedge lock right at the top of the banjo as opposed to screw sets down a bit, so most of the post is locked in. I would not want to core without the post locked in. It probably would work fine, but I prefer it locked in place. I also have my gates locked down so they don't pivot when I core.

robo hippy