PDA

View Full Version : How do we get the new yankee workshop back on tv???

Derek Arita
11-03-2012, 11:04 PM
MAN...I really miss The New Yankee Workshop! How can we get this show back on the air. I am so ready to see the series all over again, from the very beginning. All I ever see on TV now, is a bunch of reality crap. There's just nothing at all like it on the air. Up until a few years ago, I worked for a PBS station and I'm going to contact them about this, but they are only 1 affiliate of many. How do we do it?

Stephen Cherry
11-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Good luck with that. I'd like to see them also, but it looks like PBS has them locked up. There's one episode a week on the website though. Norm built a lot of good projects, some simple and some complex.

It was a great series and a great body of work, it's a shame that they are not available for viewing.

greg yovich
11-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I feel the same way, it was a great show. I bought all his books and lusted after all his tools. I was also a fan of Hometime which at least until recently was still on the air, however it isn't the show it once was. Much like This Old House, it started out great but evolved into something different, in my opinion it got too big for its britches. Maybe Norm felt it was better to bow out rather than change? It would be nice though to be able to watch the reruns.

On a side note, I actually met Norm at a Handy Andy back in the day. He must have talked for 90 minutes and then took the time to meet and greet anyone who wanted to. I still have an autographed copy of his first book and a picture of the two of us somewhere as well. He was a great down to earth person. Those were the days ......

Mel Fulks
11-03-2012, 11:25 PM
By popular demand: "....an now I'm jus gonna use mi routuh...."

Joseph Tarantino
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
..... How do we do it?

boy i wish i knew. while renovation realities and other shows may provide a little humor and an opportunity to laugh at people who mostly have no idea what they're doing, norm and others actually showed us how to make things. wile my mechanical engineer dad was handy, norm actually showed how seemingly complex projects were really assemblages of sub assemblies. maybe it's just changing times. when TOH started, there was bob villa along side norm talking about how homeowners participated in the early projects and their sweat equity was their contribution to the project. today, some of those TOH projects look like megaprojects that most of the population would be hard pressed to afford. and the homeowners contribution? besides paying the GC bill, it seems like it's choosing appliances , gadgets and colors. changing times, i guess, as we move relentlessly towards a world simulated on ipads and smartphones and away from using our hands creatively and constructively.

Peter Hawser
11-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm going to guess more of this has to do with Norm than PBS. He sells DVD's. Not blaming him in the slightest - it's his work so why not profit from it? Same goes for all previous seasons of The Woodwright's Shop - you have to buy those online too. I'd also like to see David Mark's show replayed, but it's the same thing - he is selling downloads on his website. I guess this is one of the unfortunate things about woodworking really taking off as a hobby - there is money to be made, so things that might have been cheaper of free, from old hand tools to TV shows, cost more.

Cody Colston
11-04-2012, 1:13 PM
It was Norm who decided to quit filming The NYW. After 21 years, he wanted to move on to something else, whatever that may be. I doubt if he would consider returning. They were also having problems finding underwriters for the show.

What I would like to see is a cable TV woodworking channel. However, I doubt there is enough interest (read advertising dollars) to make it succcessful.

Bob Wingard
11-04-2012, 1:38 PM
If they can get funding for "reality shows" depicting writing parking tickets and towing cars, it's kinda hard to believe we can't get a whole channel dedicated to making stuff.

John Fabre
11-04-2012, 1:47 PM
I used to donate to PBS to keep the woodworking shows airing. Now they show mostly cooking shows.

Huck Schwee
11-04-2012, 2:58 PM
Just go ahead and buy the the complete set (http://www.newyankee.com/index.php?id=53#ecwid:mode=product&product=10708069)...it's only $3000 :eek:

Derek Arita
11-04-2012, 5:34 PM
Yeah...saw that $3K...too steep for this yankee! As for Norm doing new shows...that's not even necessary. If they just replay the old ones from the beginning, that would suffice and probably get a whole new set of viewers, too. And if Norm wants to sell more vids, the best thing he can do is to increase his following. As far as underwriting The New Yankee Workshop, I can't see tool manufacturers and retailers not wanting to underwrite this show. There's not even any production costs to pay for.
For Mr. Morash, the show is already in the can. Reselling it would cost him some phone calls and emails, but that's about it. If it's true that Norm sells the vids, then he get's the bennies with none of the work. In fact, he may even get some personal appearances out of it to boot.
Yeah...this is all talk, I know and I'm sure there are others factors involved. It's not like any of these guys are going to read this or get wind of it, but it just sure would be nice.

ian maybury
11-04-2012, 5:59 PM
You guys probably know, but his stuff is still available here for free, but you have to wait for the right episode to come up: http://www.newyankee.com/#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=7916628

ian

Biff Johnson
11-04-2012, 7:25 PM
Norm is my hero, however why not redo NYWS with a new host? Not one of the weirdos like they did on This Old House...I mean a real woodworker! If they can just change main characters like they did on Two & a Half Men why not Workshop?

John Frazee
11-04-2012, 7:28 PM
I can see it now! The Sawmill Creek Show on DirectTV!! Bringing you all the latest projects of wood working, CNC and Lasers.

Jim Rimmer
11-04-2012, 7:44 PM
You can watch reruns here http://www.newyankee.com/ Problem is you have to watch what they chose to post (new video each week). You can't browse a list and pick your project. But then, that's how it was when the show was on.

Joe Angrisani
11-04-2012, 9:45 PM
Funny to read this thread. I remember many a Norm-bashing article or discussion over the years when he was still making shows. Where are all the "he hacked this" and "he goobed up that" comments of old? Glad to see time mellows people.

Personally, I like his shows for what they were. Thanks Norm....

Phil Koundakjian
11-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Not sure if this link works, but there are a lot of NYW stuff there. Mostly in English. Some of the video is not the best.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=new+yankee+workshop&tnr=20&b=181

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2012, 9:33 AM
Funny to read this thread. I remember many a Norm-bashing article or discussion over the years when he was still making shows. Where are all the "he hacked this" and "he goobed up that" comments of old? Glad to see time mellows people.

Personally, I like his shows for what they were. Thanks Norm....

Hi Joe, he often "Hacked" this or that, and if I ever see another pneumatic nailer or can of polyurethane I may be sick. :)

However, I think he did more to popularise wood working than onyone I can think of, for which I'm thankful..............Regards, Rod.

P.S. Yes I would like to watch re-runs of his show on PBS.

Jim German
11-05-2012, 3:18 PM
I'd love to see the old-reruns of NYW airing. I don't understand why they don't air stuff like that at 3am.

My local CBS airs 5 or so year old This Old House episodes at 3am, and I love watching them off the DVR.

I also wish they would air, or even just make available online the really old episodes of This Old House. I worry what will happen with that show too, the main guys are all getting close to retirement age. I'd hate to see it just go away, but finding some quality replacements for them will be difficult.

Matt Meiser
11-05-2012, 3:40 PM
You guys all realize that
a) PBS has woodworking show which I'm sure they consider "equivalent"
and
b) PBS, just like any other network, airs what people watch because that's what pays the bills
right?

You'd probably have a lot more success supporting the current show and sending suggestions on what you'd like to see from them.

Ron Kellison
11-05-2012, 4:39 PM
I have to point out that, in my humble opinion, the "current" show (presumably Tommy Mac) is a different sort of animal that Norm's old show. It's shorter on technique and especially sparse when he discusses alternate methods. His choice in projects is interesting but often a bit "modern" for my tastes. His delivery is more confident than it used to be in the 1st season but his mannerisms still drive me nuts. As always, your mileage may vary...:)

Regards,

Ron Kellison

Mark Blum
11-05-2012, 8:32 PM
His delivery is more confident than it used to be in the 1st season but his mannerisms still drive me nuts. As always, your mileage may vary...:)
Yeah, I had to stop watching it because I couldn't take his delivery. Seems like a nice fellow, but his show just doesn't click with me.

And that highlights the problem with just making an updated New Yankee Workshop with a new host. It all depends on who you get as the host. Something about Norm just worked for people, and I don't think it is as easy to create that connection as it seems.

Gregory King
11-06-2012, 7:52 AM
I'm trying my best to like this Tommy Mac guy, but its not easy. He looks hyper as they come, bouncing around with his hands flailing. Doesn't remind me of a safety conscieius man around power tools. But, still has all of his fingers, I guess. Norm will be hard to replace. He always took the time to show the jigs that he used on various projects, especially since I enjoy creating a working jig. Two hours to build one, ten minutes to do the work with one. True satisfaction for me. Greg

Matt Meiser
11-06-2012, 7:59 AM
So write Tommy Mac and let him know what you'd like to see.

Myk Rian
11-06-2012, 8:38 AM
Yeah, I had to stop watching it because I couldn't take his delivery.

Batta Bing!

Mel Fulks
11-06-2012, 9:22 AM
Some good humor there,Greg. That's why at every step Norm stressed "my" whatever. Telling us all we were going to have to make our own !

David Hostetler
11-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I love Norm's stuff. And the Norm bashers can go beat their thumbs with a mallet, I like the guys style. But he's one of many sources for woodworking information and entertainment. If you catch Steve in Marin's "Woodworking for Mere Mortals" online, you'll catch some great stuff. Okay except the camera work. He obviously doesn't own a tripod...

Jamie Lynch
11-06-2012, 10:56 AM
If they can get funding for "reality shows" depicting writing parking tickets and towing cars,

People actually watch those shows?!?! It's no wonder our ecconomy is in the pits :(

Greg Portland
11-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Here's all the episodes (legally): http://www.ovguide.com/tv/the_new_yankee_workshop.htm#

Bob Fraser
11-06-2012, 1:54 PM
So write Tommy Mac and let him know what you'd like to see.

That is a good idea, I think I will write him and tell him I want to see Norm!

Peter Hawser
11-06-2012, 3:10 PM
Is it not possible to like both Norm and Tommy? I do. I think giving Tommy an hour like Norm would go a long way to helping more people like the show.

Mike Cogswell
11-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Here's all the episodes (legally): http://www.ovguide.com/tv/the_new_yankee_workshop.htm#

That appears to be just a list of all the episodes. I tried one of the links, but none actually played an episode.

Rick Moyer
11-07-2012, 12:36 PM
That appears to be just a list of all the episodes. I tried one of the links, but none actually played an episode.
Worked for me. I only tried one after reading your post, but it worked.

Ryan Baker
11-07-2012, 7:47 PM
Worked for me. I only tried one after reading your post, but it worked.

Same here. Works for me.

EDIT: Some of the links work, but not others. These are just links to episodes available on the web.

Derek Arita
11-07-2012, 9:21 PM
Couldn't get episodes in the season list to play...said episode not found. I was able to play those episodes that were at the top of the page, though. The season list episodes wouldn't play. Would have been neat to be able to access any episode like that.

Mark Pellerito
11-15-2012, 2:16 PM
I am a huge fan of Norm and I do miss his show. I have found a modern replacement that offers a great deal of information, instructions, and a touch of humor, "The Wood Whisperer" on youtube provides many free videos along with a membership service at thewoodwhisperer.com. Mark S. the host of the WoodWhisperer.com would make a great replacement for Norm.

Jerry Ingraham
11-15-2012, 5:50 PM
I am fortunate to have recorded all his shows over the years, same with David Marks, problem is that they are all on VHS. So I keep an old vhs player around and use it just for that! I'd like to record them to dvd but not sure it's worth the expense.

Tom Fischer
11-16-2012, 5:44 AM
If they can get funding for "reality shows" depicting writing parking tickets and towing cars, it's kinda hard to believe we can't get a whole channel dedicated to making stuff.

There's a show on Dish Network about auctioning off unpaid storage facilities (mostly loaded with broken stuff).
People watch all kinds of junk, very little useful.

Bill Edwards(2)
11-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Is it not possible to like both Norm and Tommy? I do. I think giving Tommy an hour like Norm would go a long way to helping more people like the show.

Norm was an hour????? Really?? The New Yankee Workshop was an hour?? Really??

:confused:

Larry Browning
11-16-2012, 1:46 PM
Norm was an hour????? Really?? The New Yankee Workshop was an hour?? Really??

:confused:

Sure it was! You don't think he could have built all that great stuff in 30 minutes do you?
I know I have an inferiority complex because it always takes me 30 days to build what he builds in 30 minutes.