PDA

View Full Version : I want to refinish it...but...

Troy Turner
11-03-2012, 9:09 PM
We picked this up at an auction today. I took it apart to repair a break and clean it up a little. Just some soap and water. Didn't clean up as good I wanted it to.

I know you're not supposed to remove patenas and stuff, but...We're not reselling it. And the front is pretty much bare wood already. Like all the other old furniture we have, we've usually stripped and refinished.

I'm thinking just stripping this so as not to remove the scribbles, a medium stain, then a top coat (probably a water-based poly, sprayed). I'll put the wire brush on the metal and repaint with a gloss black.

I wish there was some way to get the color of the top. I've never used shellac, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks for you opinion.

Jim Tobias
11-04-2012, 1:25 AM
Troy,
I recently worked on a couple of old pieces for a fried that did not want them to be "too new" looking. In other words, keep the patina.
I used this http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-restor-a-finish.php
It worked very well for these type of projects. You coul dtry it on the underside and if that doesn't satisfy, get a can of Zinnser spray shellac and try that. It will bring back some life to the wood.

Jim

sheldon pettit
11-04-2012, 4:41 AM
We picked this up at an auction today. I took it apart to repair a break and clean it up a little. Just some soap and water. Didn't clean up as good I wanted it to.

I know you're not supposed to remove patenas and stuff, but...We're not reselling it. And the front is pretty much bare wood already. Like all the other old furniture we have, we've usually stripped and refinished.

I'm thinking just stripping this so as not to remove the scribbles, a medium stain, then a top coat (probably a water-based poly, sprayed). I'll put the wire brush on the metal and repaint with a gloss black.

I wish there was some way to get the color of the top. I've never used shellac, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks for you opinion.

LOL, well.... i see no problem at all doing whatever you desire to this including ruining the patina, this is not some historical item nor is it something scarce or made by a famous cabinet maker, etc., there are more than plenty of these things around the country, it's not a one of a kind by any means, your watching to much "ARS" By all means treat it whatever way suits your fancy, your not going to ruin anything one way or the other. That is unless you see a "historical name carved into it" that can be proven to be the persons authentic handwriting :)

Todd Burch
11-04-2012, 6:50 AM
I agree with Sheldon - and sandblast and paint that base while you are at it!

Troy Turner
11-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Dang, guess I did sound like somone off the ARS.. :D That was my disclaimer because I figured someone might come along and say "DON'T TOUCH IT".

Well, I do tend to touch it when I want too. I do take a look around for makers marks for famous names and have yet to find any on all the stuff we have. One day though ;)

Here's an armoire we picked up at a store. Yeah, coulda left it like it was, but decided since it was coming in the house and not in a museum, we'd refinish it.

sheldon pettit
11-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Nice job Troy, and i don't mean to sound unaware or foolish with my comments either, just that normally to many people look to the road show for simple pieces that abound and are not necessarily valuable to anyone but the owner/ buyer/ purchaser. Though some day someone may well want to purchase these from you or descendants just because, like you, they like the looks, what real value they may have at that time is dictated by the demand or scarcity of such things. You won't be around to see it, but your children and grandchildren might. In any case, if kept in the family they will one day be personal heirlooms if nothing else. Keep up the good work.!!