PDA

View Full Version : Sawmill/Lumber Recommendations?

David Wadstrup
11-03-2012, 7:45 PM
Hi,

I live in New York City and am having a hard time finding rough cut domestic hardwood lumber(aside from Rosenzweig's.) Is there anyone in the area that can recommend a place or two? A place you've visited personally, and have had a good experience with?

Thanks,

David

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-03-2012, 7:54 PM
I've no idea, myself, not being in the area, but it occurs to me you might hit up the folks at Tools For Working Wood for their recommendations, being relatively close to you.

Robert Maloney
11-03-2012, 7:57 PM
You could try Condon's Lumber in White Plains. They have a large selection. There are a couple of places in New Jersey also. Don't know how any of them fared with Sandy.

Al Weber
11-04-2012, 8:55 AM
If you don't mind a drive into NJ, Willard Bro's sawmill near Trenton always has a large inventory and they are helpful people but you pay for it dearly. However, their quality is top notch.

Brent Powers
11-08-2012, 7:22 PM
M.L. Condon's is your only option without crossing into the wilds of Jersey. However, they have great wood, helpful staff, fussy hours and only take cash! Enjoy

george wilson
11-08-2012, 8:21 PM
I have been to Maurice Condon's boat Limber in Long Island. Spent a day there picking out Sitka spruce planks. I was treated very well by the staff there,and left to pick the wood out(as I wanted) until I got it together. Then,they cut it in lengths I could get into my station wagon to return to Va. with. It was for guitar tops.

Their name doesn't suit them,really. They have a great selection of all kinds of exotic woods like ebony,which you don't expect to build boats with. Found a .25 cal. shell casing in the street,but that's NY for you!! No dangerous looking characters hanging about in daytime. .25 is such a weak caliber,anyway,but very concealable.