PDA

View Full Version : Stupid me and Makita miter saw blade guard

Peter Hawser
11-03-2012, 3:55 PM
I'll just admit it up front, I didn't read the instructions. I was changing a blade on my Makita LS0714 7 1/2" miter saw and accidentally loosened the wrong screw - the screw for the blade guard. It all fell apart. I put it back together just like it is shown here (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/makita-ls0714-four-pole-slide-compound-miter-saw-parts-c-97_98_99_1506.html) and the spring action works (as I lower the blade it retracts).

I don't see how this can be related, but now the saw seems to kick a little when the saw is turned on. It's like I screwed up the soft start at the same time, but that can't be.... can it? If so, how? Or am I just imagining it? Any ideas, suggestions? Feel free to call me a moron, I am doing the same.

Larry Edgerton
11-03-2012, 7:04 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself, things like this happen to most people. At least people that get things done. I have a 12" Makita and was sidetracked by a customer while changeing blades, missed tightening the screw that keeps the guard centered when it rotates. The blade hit the guard first cut and blew all to heck, plastic everywhere. Bang!

Stuff happens, learn and move on. You are OK.

Larry

C Scott McDonald
11-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Try taking all the stuff off except the blade and start it up to eliminate the guard.

Keith Weber
11-04-2012, 7:46 AM
I have a 12" Makita and was sidetracked by a customer while changeing blades, missed tightening the screw that keeps the guard centered when it rotates. The blade hit the guard first cut and blew all to heck, plastic everywhere. Bang!

Larry

And I thought I was the only one that did that! LOL!

Keith

Peter Hawser
11-04-2012, 9:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel less dumb because 1, Keith did the same thing and 2, before reading Scott's thread I did just that- took off the guard to test (I now have it tighter too). The little kick is still present, but here is the thing. I honestly don't know if that little start up kick was always there or I am imagining things and/or noticing it more now that I wasn't wearing ear protection when testing this out... It really isn't that big of a deal, but if anyone else has this saw can you tell me please, when you start it, does it kick a little or is it truly a soft start with no "kick" at all?

FYI, I changed to a Makita 72 tooth blade and man, if you thought this saw cut clean before, try this blade (I use my saw for more hardwood and furniture related work).

P.S. There are some whacky people out there who like to live on the edge. I was using some online videos to see if there is a "kick" here with the same saw and found two guys who seem to know less about the shop and power tools than I do.

This one has one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmGHPjyWQo - the little "boom" at start up. Not sure if I like his loose long sleeves and the saw not being secured.
Now this guy just asking for a injury: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub7bfc0vMu8 Nice cardboard box table flopping all over as he tries to cross cut a 12" piece of wood from back to front! Gees.

johnny means
11-04-2012, 10:35 AM
A heavier blade will make start up more violent.

Keith Weber
11-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Peter,

Wow! I just watched that guy in your video link. He's like a poster child for worker's compensation in Korea! I was tempted to respond to the video you linked telling him (in the hope that he reads English) that you push not pull through the wood with a sliding miter saw. But then I watched a couple of his other videos and came to the conclusion that he was a lost cause, and I wouldn't know where to begin. My favorites were when he almost torqued the skin off his fingers with the impact driver...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAO8SU08g_U&feature=plcp

...and his nice tablesaw technique of crosscutting using the fence AND the miter gauge. The whole time watching that one, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the big BANG! For anyone new to tablesaws, this video shows the perfect setup for a kickback -- you can actually see the left piece lift up on the pack of the blade at the end, but he got lucky and it hopped off to the side instead of bouncing off his ribcage. Either use the fence or the miter gauge, but NEVER use both at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m7pOePdNXg&feature=plcp

I'm not really sure what his deal is. He's got over 300 videos of himself trying out various tools. Judging from the facts that all the tools appear new, and he has absolutely no clue how to use them, my guess is that he owns a shop that sells tools, but he doesn't use them himself. I don't think woodworking is overly dangerous, but it's apparent watching this guy that woodworking with a lack of knowledge really cranks up the danger meter!

Keith

Peter Hawser
11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
A heavier blade will make start up more violent.

You are a genius. I think this is exactly what happened. I'll switch blades back to check, but by jove, I think you got it. I didn't "ruin" anything, I just happened to screw up the guide the same time I switched to a heavier blade. Big duh all around for me, but thanks nonetheless!

Peter Hawser
11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Keith, you are braver than I am. I could barely watch the miter saw video. It's so bad, it's almost like he was TRYING to make the most unsafe video ever. It reminds me of a video a while back of some guy with a Bosch power planer who broke every rule in the book.