PDA

View Full Version : power feeder reach?

Graham Hutchinson
11-03-2012, 3:12 PM
I am looking to buy a power feeder that has a standard maximum reach from base to head of 20". They sell an option of 34". Is 20" too limiting? I will use it mostly on my shaper that has a 25" x 25.5" table, but I may also use it on my table saw. Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephen Cherry
11-03-2012, 6:14 PM
I've just got the normal reach, and it's OK for me. If the shaper is not very heavy, the feeder could make it tippy with a long arm. One thing to consider is mounting the feeder on the shaper, and then rolling it around to other machines to feed. I park my delta hd shaper next to my jointer, and have them clamped together so that the feeder can feed for both the jointer and shaper.

Larry Edgerton
11-03-2012, 6:51 PM
On a tablesaw its not enough for the type of work I do. Remember that the width of the fence comes out of that 20". So does the base projection and the distance from the fence to the pivot point on the feeder. With the longer arm on the shaper you can just crank it in so it is not reaching out so far. To me the long arm opens up options without any real drawback.

I am dealing with a 20" reach right now and it is not enough on the tablesaw. At my old shop I welded one up that came down from the ceiling over my main saw, but I am in a temporary shop for another few months. Had an issue just last week where the feeder was not far enough away, but that too will pass when I get in my new shop. I think my next one will swing out from the wall with a dust collection hood.

Larry

David Kumm
11-03-2012, 7:55 PM
The short reach is plenty long for the shaper. The saw depends on where and how you mount it. Keep in mind that a long reach puts a fair amount of stress on a cast iron top so you want to mount it too a stout machine. I prefer a steel plate bolted to the machine if the cast iron is thin. The tube will also be in the way if the machine is up against the wall so the long tube works better on a machine out in the room. Dave

Rich Huhra
11-04-2012, 4:12 PM
Graham

If you are interested I have a Powermatic PF-41 for sale. It's in excellent condition with less than 20 hours use. It sells new for around $1150. but I would be will it sell to a Creeker for $800. If interested send me a reply.244818244819

Stephen Cherry
11-04-2012, 6:22 PM
Graham

If you are interested I have a Powermatic PF-41 for sale. It's in excellent condition with less than 20 hours use. It sells new for around $1150. but I would be will it sell to a Creeker for $800. If interested send me a reply

I've got tiawanese, and two italian feeders; didn't pay more than about 300 for any of them. And the Maggi Italian feeders are a little nicer. Also, the older delta feeders are italian made, and can be had at good prices.

Graham Hutchinson
11-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone, you have given me some good ideas.
Graham