PDA

View Full Version : Reefer Trailer for Kiln?

Robert Hartsoe
11-03-2012, 1:35 PM
I am in need of a kiln. I have a 53 foot freight trailer that used to be refrigerated. Well insulated and strong. It just occurred to me that this might be an ideal Kiln. Anyone have any comments? I have never built or used a kiln but I understand it would probably need a heat source? A way to discharge the moisture or ventilate. Would a couple of house type dehumidifiers do the job? Any info would be appreciated.
Robert

Charlie MacGregor
11-03-2012, 1:47 PM
Robert, that is often done but I think you will be disapointed with home dehumidifiers. I would search the forestry forum. Also look for Nyle. (dehumidification for kilns)

Larry Edgerton
11-03-2012, 7:19 PM
Find a copy of the US Forest Service hanbook "Drying Hardwood Lumber" Read it cover to cover the reread it, there is a lot to soak up.

Just thinking that 53 foot by eight would be tough to get the proper airflow, but you do not have to use the whole thing. I have been studying kilns and am looking for a 16" box truck to use myself. I am going to do a combination of solar and a Logisol dehumidification unit. A lot cheaper than the Nyle units and hopefully fine for my limited use. I just want to play.

Larry

Ed Aumiller
11-03-2012, 7:50 PM
Read the sawing and drying forum at woodweb dot com... lot of good info on kilns there

Cody Colston
11-04-2012, 1:23 PM
You can get the plans, parts and accessories along with accurate advice from Nyle for converting the reefer to a dry kiln. Home dehumidifiers will quickly corrode from the acid-laden air in a kiln.