PDA

View Full Version : Straightening an auger bit?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I've got a 1/4" Jennings auger bit with a bit of a bend in it. It's not really noticeable when you just glance at the bit; but when you pop it in the brace, sighting down it and ratcheting the brace head, you notice the tip dancing in a circle. Thought it was the brace chuck not closing on the bit well at first- but rolling the bit does show the bend. I've got a couple of Irwin pattern bits that are dead straight, and this one works fine on shallower holes if you let the bit do the work, but I'd love to straighten it up if I could.

How would you folks tackle this? Just pop it in a vise and bend? I'm concerned about making it worse. First step I assume is better identifying the bend more accurately. That's proving slightly difficult, but I haven't really looked at it too hard.

mike holden
11-03-2012, 5:56 PM
These bits are surprisingly soft. I would roll it on a flat surface and find the top of the bend, mark it with a marker. Then, holding the square end in one hand, place the cutting end (just ABOVE the thread and cutters) on a hard surface and apply a bit of pressure to the top of the bend with your other hand. Roll on flat surface, repeat as necessary.
Mike