PDA

View Full Version : A Better Gas Can

Larry Frank
11-02-2012, 8:28 PM
Some time ago there was a thread that discussed how bad the gas cans were. I hated mine until recently. I bought one called No-Spill and love it. It has an easy to use push button on it and you can stick it in a small engine gas tank and it will shut off when it is full. They are not cheap but they work extremely well.244641

Kevin Bourque
11-02-2012, 8:50 PM
I hate those no-spill gas cans. I found 2 old school 5 gallon cans at a yard sale about a year ago. :)

Tom Esh
11-02-2012, 10:31 PM
+1
After suffering several of the riduculous gurgling variety, I bought 2 of the No-Spills at my local equipment dealer. Somebody finally got it right.

ray hampton
11-03-2012, 11:40 AM
well , I did own a NO-SPILL can but someone stole it and some gasoline that were it it

Stephen Tashiro
11-03-2012, 9:52 PM
Is it still common to set a hot lawnmower on fire when refilling the gas tank? Or have lawnmower designs and gas can designs changed so that isn't a big hazard?

As a kid, I have vague memories of seeing adults set fires when refilling the gas tank of mowers. They were not serious fires. The common gas can in those days was a cylindrical metal can. It has a thin metal hex shaped cap in the center for filling the can. The spout had screw-on cap that was frequenly lost and replaced with bottle cap. In my memory these cans were heavy and held a lot of gas, but childhood memories exaggerate sizes.

Matt Meiser
11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Meh. Better than anything I've found today but not as good as old cans. On one of mine the o-ring that seals the spout to the can was missing and I spilled gas on me. About half the time the o-rings stick to the can instead of where they belong and I get gas an my hands trying to fix it. And they are slow as heck dumping a full 5 gallons.

BOB OLINGER
11-04-2012, 7:26 PM
Haven't used one, but while it looks ok for filling a lawn mower, I'd prefer a longer spout for filling a car.

Matt Meiser
11-04-2012, 7:52 PM
Well, I had occasion today to put gas in my truck with it. Newer Fords have a capless fuel filler opening and come with a funnel that opens the sealing mechanism. Even with that I couldn't get the last pint or so out of the can. Guess I can dump that pint on the ground or something.

ray hampton
11-04-2012, 8:03 PM
Well, I had occasion today to put gas in my truck with it. Newer Fords have a capless fuel filler opening and come with a funnel that opens the sealing mechanism. Even with that I couldn't get the last pint or so out of the can. Guess I can dump that pint on the ground or something.

NO< DO NOT waste your gasoline, you can buy a hose to fit your funnel and the tank so that your gas can can be move around to empty it or empty the troublesome can into a better can

John Coloccia
11-04-2012, 8:20 PM
I solved my problem with a funnel. I just take the spout off and pour. Problem solved. I do like the No-Spill design, and if I need another small can I'll get one, but my next fuel "can" will be something like this, because I'm pretty fed up.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/scepter-duramax-flo-n-go-14-gal-cap--3001403

And dat's dat.

ray hampton
11-04-2012, 8:51 PM
that are nice ,wonder if you can still buy a smaller version of this, 5 gallons are plenty

Matt Meiser
11-04-2012, 9:20 PM
I solved my problem with a funnel. I just take the spout off and pour. Problem solved. I do like the No-Spill design, and if I need another small can I'll get one, but my next fuel "can" will be something like this, because I'm pretty fed up.

And dat's dat.

John the same or similar can at Northern Tool had AWEFUL reviews last time I checked. Plus 14 gallons of gas is about 85 lbs. And for safety you need to set it on the ground for fueling. How you get it back in the vehicle after, who knows?

Ole Anderson
11-04-2012, 11:05 PM

Yea, I keep one of those long skinny funnels in my Jeep as the filler is so recessed, you can only get about 25% of a 2 gallon can in the tank without it. I have a old 25 gallon version of the TSC tanker I use for my boat. It works only because my boat sits below the dock as it drains by gravity. I finally figured how to get it out of my van when filled, but now that I just sold the van and have an SUV, not sure how it will work. I have 3 of the squat 6 gallon plastic gas cans, but the little cap for the yellow nozzle is missing on all 3. Wish someone made a replacement cap.

Jerome Stanek
11-05-2012, 6:31 AM
I have one of these.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/type-ii-gas-safety-can-5-gallon-metal-red-with-flex-spout.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=19136088729&utm_content=pla&gclid=CMzu143dt7MCFYYWMgodPxIADA

Matt Meiser
11-05-2012, 7:28 AM
That definitely looks better than the Eagle cans that everyone around here sell with the plastic funnel. The funnel is kind of hard to get on and off and feels like its not going to last real long.

ray hampton
11-05-2012, 10:10 AM
John the same or similar can at Northern Tool had AWEFUL reviews last time I checked. Plus 14 gallons of gas is about 85 lbs. And for safety you need to set it on the ground for fueling. How you get it back in the vehicle after, who knows?

14 gallons are 10 gallons too heavy for me, if you set this can on a metal plate [not painted] and use a plaid cable to ground the can+plate to the concrete, will this work ?

John Coloccia
11-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Normally you do ground it somehow. I wasn't looking at that exact one. They have some nicer ones. I don't think I would transport it to gas station. I would just fill up my 5 gallon cans and fill it from there. I have no need to transport it. I just have a good amount of equipment to keep gassed up.

Ole Anderson
11-05-2012, 1:00 PM
When I fill my 25 gallon tanker, it sits on the floor of the van, I kick off one sandal (it is always summer when I use it) and keep my hand on the plastic and my bare foot on the ground, I am the conductor. I've seen the video of the guy filling his cans in the pickup bed when it catches fire. Scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYO4jvnJHw

Don Orr
11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
I really like my No-Spill gas cans. You can get extensions for the nozzle for about $5 a piece on their website. I have a 1 gal and 5 gal and they are both easy to use and work well. I only have small engines so have no problem lifting them when full.

I think I was the one who suggested them on another thread some time ago. Sorry if you are not pleased with them.

Matt Meiser
11-14-2012, 12:28 PM
I was in an antique mall over the weekend and saw several NOS cans from the 50's or 60's for $35 a piece. I was REALLY tempted.

Don, I think the No-Spill cans are less bad than most of the rest of what's readily available today. Putting 10 gallons in my mower takes a LONG time with them and there's the whole nozzle gasket issue I mentioned above. But at least the cans aren't imploding on themselves or looking like they are about to burst like my old (like 2 years old) cans from Blitz as the temps change.

Mac McQuinn
11-14-2012, 3:24 PM
This is exactly what is hanging in my Shed, still looks and works great. I bought it new in 1977 at an old school hardware(creaky wooden floors and all). I even still have the little screw-on cap for pour spout. Mines the (1) gallon version although I remember a 2-1/2 gallon was available. Mine doesn't have a vent, you crack the filler cap a bit and pour slowly to not allow excess gas to flow out. All metal construction except for the wood handle on metal lanyard and made in the U.S.A. It'll outlast me, no doubt.
Mac

As a kid, I have vague memories of seeing adults set fires when refilling the gas tank of mowers. They were not serious fires. The common gas can in those days was a cylindrical metal can. It has a thin metal hex shaped cap in the center for filling the can. The spout had screw-on cap that was frequenly lost and replaced with bottle cap. In my memory these cans were heavy and held a lot of gas, but childhood memories exaggerate sizes.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-16-2012, 3:23 PM
I have one of these.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/type-ii-gas-safety-can-5-gallon-metal-red-with-flex-spout.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=19136088729&utm_content=pla&gclid=CMzu143dt7MCFYYWMgodPxIADA

I own many gas cans, and this one is my favorite....

With many of my newer cans, I have a tendency to spill gas all over the place, so I loose a bunch as waste compared to my old cans. Also, most of the no leak cans these days pressurize and then when you release them they can blow gas out...

For my uses, anyway, there has been a net lose of fuel rather than savings by using these new cans. Sure, I can find ways around the problem like using a funnel and disabling their features... but I just did not have these problems with my older cans.

Brian Elfert
11-16-2012, 6:59 PM
How does Eagle seem to still make old fashioned style gas cans when nobody else seems to be able to make them these days? The type 1 cans look almost identical to the 20 or 30 year gas can my dad owns. I need to look into getting an Eagle type 2 gas can.

Jerome Stanek
11-17-2012, 6:38 AM
How does Eagle seem to still make old fashioned style gas cans when nobody else seems to be able to make them these days? The type 1 cans look almost identical to the 20 or 30 year gas can my dad owns. I need to look into getting an Eagle type 2 gas can. They have made this style can for years it it a safety can that meets the standard spill proof and is metal.

Matt Meiser
11-17-2012, 9:18 AM
With a fairly hard to open handle that springs closed and a cheap plastic funnel attachment instead of a spout.

Brian Elfert
11-17-2012, 10:09 AM
They have made this style can for years it it a safety can that meets the standard spill proof and is metal.

I understand they have making them fore years. Other companies made gas cans for years too before the EPA forced them to change the design. How come Eagle didn't have to change their design to meet EPA regs?

To Matt's point, Eagle also makes a gas can with attached spout. My dad has a 5 gallon can with the attached funnel except it has a screw cap. He has to unscrew the cap, remove the funnel, and then pour the gas. He mostly transfers gas from the larger can to a smaller 2 gallon can for everyday use.