PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls Early No. 33 Ratchet Brace

James Pickering
11-02-2012, 7:50 PM
Finally got a really nice early (circa. 1880) specimen: http://jp29.org/wwmf33.htm

MF 33 bit braces have always held a special place in my heart. I bought my first one in 1949 - a used specimen of 1930s vintage with the stained hard wood wrist handle and head. It was not only the 33's 8 inch sweep that attracted me - we lived at 33 Rossetti Avenue in Burnley during my youth and WWII and I had a sentimental attachment to that number (still do). Anyway, I have always liked the elegant lines of the 30 series MF braces - dependable work horses that they are.

James

Peter Pedisich
11-02-2012, 8:06 PM
James,

Thanks so much for the careful presentation, I always enjoy your posts with the personal history you weave into them. Much of the appeal of hand tools, for me - and I'm sure others - is the idea of the craftsmen that have used the tools before me, and their stories. Great stuff!
That is a fine looking brace.

Pete

James Pickering
11-02-2012, 8:33 PM
.......... Much of the appeal of hand tools, for me - and I'm sure others - is the idea of the craftsmen that have used the tools before me, and their stories. Great stuff!
That is a fine looking brace.

Pete
Thank you, Peter. You expressed my own thoughts relating to vintage tools very eloquently.

James

Erik Manchester
11-03-2012, 7:59 AM
James,

That is a beautiful brace you have there. I agree that the 30 series are great tools, I have a couple 34s, a 32, and a 30 for use with large bits. I get the most use out of the 34s as I have screwdriver bits in them and use them regularly for driving screws. I find them easier than the Yankee ratchet screwdrivers as I can get a feel for the torque applied.

I regularly visit your site and appreciate the work you have put into the presentation of such useful info.

Cheers,

Jim Koepke
11-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Nice write up and a nice brace.

we lived at 33 Rossetti Avenue in Burnley during my youth and WWII and I had a sentimental attachment to that number (still do).

Have you noticed the back of the Rolling Rock beer bottle? As I recall it used to have 33 at the end of its dissertation on the back of the bottle. Not sure if this is still the case. I haven't had one in more than 30 years.

jtk

James Pickering
11-03-2012, 12:37 PM
James,

That is a beautiful brace you have there. I agree that the 30 series are great tools, I have a couple 34s, a 32, and a 30 for use with large bits. I get the most use out of the 34s as I have screwdriver bits in them and use them regularly for driving screws. I find them easier than the Yankee ratchet screwdrivers as I can get a feel for the torque applied ..........

Thank you for that informative reply Erik. I also use my braces regularly for driving home screws. I do also use my Yankee ratchet screwdrivers from time to time - I have a great sentimental attachment to them. As I grow older I find myself succumbing more and more to sentimentality and nostalgia. I don't mind that, it makes for a more pleasant and serene existence.

James

James Pickering
11-03-2012, 1:51 PM
Nice write up and a nice brace.

Have you noticed the back of the Rolling Rock beer bottle? As I recall it used to have 33 at the end of its dissertation on the back of the bottle. Not sure if this is still the case. I haven't had one in more than 30 years.

jtk
Thank you Jim. That is good information relating to the Rolling Rock beer bottle - I will keep an eye out for one at this weekend's flea market.

James

Andrae Covington
11-03-2012, 3:19 PM
Ooh pretty. The nickel is in great shape. I don't know if I've ever seen one with the decorative beading on the head. And there are scalloped flats on the end of the chuck, presumably for your fingers to rest in as you hold the chuck while inserting a bit. Little details like that got lost in the later rounds of manufacture.

James Pickering
11-03-2012, 4:16 PM
Ooh pretty. The nickel is in great shape. I don't know if I've ever seen one with the decorative beading on the head. And there are scalloped flats on the end of the chuck, presumably for your fingers to rest in as you hold the chuck while inserting a bit. Little details like that got lost in the later rounds of manufacture.
Thank you Andrae. From what I have read, the head decorative beading was discontinued coincidental with the adoption of William H. McCoy's spring activated chuck jaws in 1890.

James