PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's on the wall.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-02-2012, 7:00 PM
It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done. Part of me think I would have preferred a joiner's chest, but wall space was at less of a premium than floor space. Still a decent amount of tools to fit, but I think I've got more space than tools left at this point, so I think I'm on track. Getting it hung was a pain, as the wall had a fair amount of twist, and the back of the cabinet had a little bit of twist - not much, but unfortunately in the opposite direction of the wall. So we had to shim a few things to make it mount securely.

Still have some drawers to mount in the bottom opening (and why didn't I mount the rails for the side-hung drawers before assembling the cabinet? This will be fun . . .) but it's out of the way and doing it's job.

Bruce Page
11-02-2012, 7:20 PM
I thing it’s very pretty and efficient too.
Well done!

What is that hanging below the cabinet?

Jamie Schmitz
11-02-2012, 7:22 PM
I like how you left room for more future tool purchases. Xmas is near, good idea.

Scott Vanzo
11-02-2012, 7:52 PM
Very Nice Joshua.

What was your intention with those jumbo sized compartments at the bottom of the cabinet? Do you have some drawers to build? I've been designing my own cabinet off and on, and I've been thinking of having larger compartments, drawers, or bins at the bottom for my more bulky planes like my ugly-but-useful Stanley 13-050 combo or my handsome yet portly Knight Toolworks Plough.

I too have been thinking about splitting the main compartment in two to store my saws. Alternatively, I would just make a separate saw till. Let us know how that works out for you.

-Scott

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-02-2012, 8:00 PM
Bruce - Hanging below the cabinet is the saw for a Jorgensen mitre saw. It needed somewhere to go for now (I may just get rid of the thing eventually, I never use it) and there used to be a pegboard in a wooden frame where this cabinet is now mounted. That's what the saw hung then, so I just put it there again for lack of anywhere better. It would probably fit in the saw side of the cabinet, now that I think about it.

Scott - yeah, the large empty compartments at the very bottom of the cabinet are where some drawers are going to go. Still need to do that bit.

george wilson
11-02-2012, 9:15 PM
Very nice,Joshua. I love cabinets like that,and wish I had space to build one myself. Believe it or not,EVERY single space of wall in my large shop is lined with about 400' of shelving. No place left to make a nice cabinet.

Mark Hubl
11-02-2012, 9:20 PM
Nice, I like the asymmetric and contemporary vibe the cabinet has. It does seem to hold a goodly amount of tools. Did you hang it on a French cleat? Well done.

Paul Saffold
11-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Good job. Nice looking design. It's so much easier to get things done when the tools are well organized.

Bob Jones
11-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Sure looks nice in the pictures. Nice work

Klaus Kretschmar
11-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Very well done, Josh! Functional beauty showing classy workmanship. You'll enjoy it every single time you'll visit your shop.

Klaus

Bruce Haugen
11-03-2012, 10:14 AM
You're wrong. It is pretty, not that it needs to be, but it is. I also like your sense of organization. It looks like tools would magically appear just where you need them to be.

How deep is it?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Well, the "not pretty" parts are things that don't show up in my poor photos, and a lot of the tool hangers are pretty rough. I figure I may go and replace brackets here and there as I have time, but at some point in the process, I decided a little bit of finesse was something I was willing to sacrifice so I could make the thing functional.

It's actually fairly deep - the cabinet shell started with 12" dimensioned boards from the home center - which puts it at probably around 11 1/4" - after the rabbet in the back and truing the edges, it's probably around 10 1/2" inside, but I haven't measured. It's just long enough my box of jennings bits fits perfectly front to back.

It's certainly very nice to be able to look and quickly tell if one of the chisels is out.

glenn bradley
11-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Beautiful. I am so jealous. I keep thinking sooner or later the shop layout will firm up enough that I can embark on a wall mounted tool cabinet . . . someday . . . . :o

Matthew N. Masail
11-03-2012, 1:39 PM
I simply love it ! really nicely done

Rodney Walker
11-03-2012, 6:37 PM
Nice job on your tool cabinet. I would argue against the "not pretty" part as well. It looks to be a well thought out and constructed tool cabinet to me. The asymmetrical doors are an interesting feature. I would like to see a few closer shots of the interior myself.
Rodney

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-03-2012, 8:00 PM
I measured whilst I was working today (it's nice having the cabinet out of the way so I can actually use both vises without sliding the darn thing into the middle of the room.) It's actually just under 11 inches deep inside.

I'll try and take some more photos with better light tomorrow.

The asymmetrical doors actually arose after making the carcase - the original layout for the tools involved a quite tight packing of fewer saws and all my planes in the right hand cabinet, which is what led to the interior layout. As I began mocking up the doors, the asymmetrical door layout following the interior layout occurred to me, and my wife and I mulled over it laying out the stock over the plywood door fronts and decided to go for it. The big downside is because the space for the drawers is symmetrical, I'll need to open both doors to access the right hand drawers after they get built.

This project did reinforce both how much I dislike working with plywood and how much I dislike sanding. . .