PDA

View Full Version : The Salt Pig (Revisited)

David DeCristoforo
11-02-2012, 6:14 PM
A few "refinements" over the first attempt. This one has a better overall shape and is not as "chunky" as the first one. Also, it represents my first attempt at a multi- axis knuckle buster. It just seemed like "wimping out" to make the snout out of a second piece of wood. Of course there is a ways to go before I begin to threaten guys like Paul Hedman or Mike Foster or any of the others who do such excellent multi-axis work. But this simple two axis turning gave me a real appreciation for what those guys do.

So here's the salt pig v2.0. I should mention that any similarity between my scopper handle and a Keith Burns finial is purely coincidental.

244627 244628

Mark Hubl
11-02-2012, 6:47 PM
Cool, I liked the first one, but knowing the effort in this one,(as only a turner would) I like this one even more. As I look at it, I can't help thinking it looks like it should be in a Pixar movie hopping around. As always nice work.

Roger Chandler
11-02-2012, 8:06 PM
Sooooooo..........what is the wood you used here David? I like what you have done..........this is a really cool project, and your scoop is fine work indeed! I really like your design as well, with the scoop contained in the body of the turning. Congratulations on another winner!

Nate Davey
11-02-2012, 8:58 PM
I love Revision 2 David. The scoop is certainly one of your masterpieces.

Rick Markham
11-02-2012, 10:27 PM
This is an even prettier pig! The curves of the form are really nice. The spoon is fantastic!

Mike Cruz
11-03-2012, 7:38 AM
You gonna put lipstick on that pig? ;) Much nicer, DD. I like how you not only made it all out of one piece, but that you angled the opening up. That made it not only more "useful", but asthetically pleasing. v2.0 is a winner!

Eric Holmquist
11-03-2012, 7:44 AM
Lots to like about this. Great job of multi-axis turning, great job of contrasting woods on the base and scoop, and great treatment of some lovely wood.

Alan Trout
11-03-2012, 9:39 AM
David,

You really put some lipstick on that salt pig. It's a beauty. I would like to see some still photos how you did the multi-axis work.

Alan

Greg Just
11-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I would like to see some still photos how you did the multi-axis work.

Alan

Me too - I know a cook that would love one of these. Nice job - this is a winner.