PDA

View Full Version : Durability of MDF Core Melamine

Brett Bobo
11-02-2012, 3:43 PM
How durable is MDF core melamine for use as horizontal surfaces in the shop? In particular, I'm considering using this for a router table top, assembly table top, and counter top for the miter saw station, etc. In the past, I've used sheets of MDF with a laminate, e.g. Formica, top and bottom. Even though it's worked well, it's somewhat time consuming and fairly expensive for the laminate sheets. My supplier sells MDF core melamine sheets (4'x8') for $42. If the durability is comparable to laminate and I can save a step or two in the process, it'll be worth considering.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Jeff Duncan
11-02-2012, 5:25 PM
Durability is going to be a subjective term here.....in my shop melamine is nowhere near durable enough for a router table top or work surface. I do use it for my tablesaw out feed table, though that is pretty well torn to heck! Anything that is going to get a significant amount of use will hold up much better with laminate on it, the durability factor isn't really even close.

I recommend calling a few of the local cabinet shops and see if they have any scrap their willing to part with for short money;)

good luck,
JeffD

John Lifer
11-02-2012, 8:11 PM
Well DUH, Melamine is laminate. There are different grades, but If it is MDF and not particle board, and you can get 3/4 min, I'd go with it. I've a 1 1/2 table top with a laminate, would be fine for router table.

Peter Quinn
11-02-2012, 8:14 PM
I have a few lightly used auxiliary infeed out feed tables I made from melamine MDF. Its OK, but the melamine is WAFER thin, to steal from monty python, and if you run a lot over it its going to wear out quick. I've used particle board core at work, and it simply wears out on highly used surfaces like table saw or router tables where you use the same few inches the most. For a miter station, probably not a problem, but then again, neither is just straight MDF. You may enjoy the visual better with a neat color of melamine, and it will last a bit longer IME than straight MDF.

Nothing beats formica, but phenolic coated baltic birch comes close, and it will save you lots of time and stink. Its thicker and tougher than melamine IME, and the BB is much more pleasant to deal with from a construction point than MDF based products. And it comes in lots of great colors! But cheap it isn't. Of course you have to weight it against MDF + Formica+labor, or replacing the melamine more often, etc. I think my out board (right side of TS) table is phenolic ply, it has a router table in it, its pretty tough stuff.

I guess it all depends on how much material you will pass over these tables how often and what level of wear you can deal with before repair. But in short, no the melamine isn't going to perform even close to the laminate. I have a laminate counter in my present kitchen (don't ask why I haven't ripped it out) that is original to the late 1950's, and short of being rather ugly, its still in pretty good shape after decades of daily abuse, water, hot pots, kids, etc. Really tough stuff.

Peter Quinn
11-02-2012, 8:34 PM
Well DUH, Melamine is laminate. There are different grades, but If it is MDF and not particle board, and you can get 3/4 min, I'd go with it. I've a 1 1/2 table top with a laminate, would be fine for router table.

Pretty sure the OP was referring to HPL, or "High pressure laminate" when he mentioned simply "laminate". It all gets confusing. There is usually melamine and phenolic resin in HPL's like formica or wilsonart. And yes, "melamine", or that paper thin thermo set often white layer fused to a particle board or mdf core is also a "laminate", but its hardly the same thing. An HPL involves layers of craft paper infused with the resins and pressed under extreme pressure and heat to form a very durable layer nearly .050" thick. Melamine? You are lucky if its .012" thick, the stuff from the Borg isn't much thicker than spray primer! I just put a new sheet of decent commercial melamine (PB core) on my assembly bench at work, and its worlds better than the cheap stuff from the home center, but still wafer thin. Pretty sure the op actually referred to "formica" specifically ( laminate, e.g. Formica ) in his question.

So DUH, try to understand the context of the conversation and avoid the insults please.

Larry Edgerton
11-03-2012, 5:18 AM
Melamine is crap. Its a cheap imitation of a cheap imitation of something real. I used thousands of 9 by 5 sheets when I had a go at the 32mm cabinet world, and I hated what I was doing ever day because I was building cabinets out of crap. Junk in, Junk out.

Treat yourself better.

Larry