PDA

View Full Version : Don't Laugh. I'm serious!

Dale Thompson
05-04-2003, 9:39 PM
My daughter and son-in-law just built a new home down in the southern part of the state. I have been chosen as the contractor to do the framing, electrical, plumbing, ceiling, etc., in terms of finishing their basement. Our first grand-rugrat is in the oven (August 15, 2003)and they need more room.

I like to think I was chosen because of my unequaled skill, precise techniques and charming personality. I do have a haunting thought, however, that I may have been chosen because I was the lowest bidder--FREE--including travel time.

Whatever, to hide the support posts, I framed one wall with 2x6s. The local home supply stores only carry prehung doors for walls framed with 2x4s. Question: Do I add an expander strip to both sides of the casing or just one? :confused:

I know you think that this is funny:D :D
Laugh all you want but please help. I've got thick skin. ;)

Dale T.

Tony Laros
05-04-2003, 10:01 PM
Forget the prehung doors and make your own jambs. I don't think adding a 2" strip to the jambs would look good, and might not be strong enough.

Phil Phelps
05-04-2003, 10:24 PM
..I'd scab onto one side. Spackel and paint it. Just gonna' be a wide jamb.

Charlie Stein
05-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Hi Dale;
I know I'm new but I have to agree with toni,make your own jams and then you can make them as wide as needed.
From
C-B-Woodpecker Shop
Charlie

Originally posted by Dale Thompson
My daughter and son-in-law just built a new home down in the southern part of the state. I have been chosen as the contractor to do the framing, electrical, plumbing, ceiling, etc., in terms of finishing their basement. Our first grand-rugrat is in the oven (August 15, 2003)and they need more room.

I like to think I was chosen because of my unequaled skill, precise techniques and charming personality. I do have a haunting thought, however, that I may have been chosen because I was the lowest bidder--FREE--including travel time.

Whatever, to hide the support posts, I framed one wall with 2x6s. The local home supply stores only carry prehung doors for walls framed with 2x4s. Question: Do I add an expander strip to both sides of the casing or just one? :confused:

Dale T.

Jason Roehl
05-05-2003, 7:48 AM
It's called an extension jamb, and around here, it's always added to the side opposite the door if possible, or the primarily out-of-sight side. If you do have to add it to the side the door is on, it may mess with the strike plate and the latch on the door may mark it up, so you might also need a strike extension.

Dave Avery
05-05-2003, 8:35 AM
The local non-borg can order you a door made for 2X6 construction for little more than a standard door.

Ken Garlock
05-05-2003, 10:03 AM
We have 8" SIP outside walls in our house, I ordered the doors at a company which deals only in doors and they never blinked. The same with our Marvin windows, just gave them exact measurements and they made the casing.:)

Glenn Clabo
05-05-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Dale Thompson
Question: Do I add an expander strip to both sides of the casing or just one? :confused:

Dale T.

Why would we laugh? I added the extender to the oposite side of the door. I also have a couple of doors in 2X3 walls that I had to cut down. Just part of the fun...nobody will notice.

Jim Becker
05-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Dave Avery
The local non-borg can order you a door made for 2X6 construction for little more than a standard door.

Yea, this is the best way to do this...if you're going to use pre-hung doors, order them to the exact size you need, including jambs.

Dave Crabbs
05-05-2003, 9:06 PM
I have a little experience in doors (i'm a carpenter). I would get a price for the cost for a 2x6 jamb pre-hung door and a 2x4 jamb door with jamb extension. If you are going to paint the trim I would use the extension jambs. As for adding the extension jambs you put them on the side away from the door.

Now here is a something to laugh about. I work for a general contractor and had to replace the front doors to our office. I had another so called carpenter helping me. He asked me what we need to replace the doors and I told him I did not know if we need extension jambs or if I could use the old ones (office is a pole barn building). He went in the shop where the new replacement doors where then came back out where I was removing the old door frame and measured the doors height. He looked at me and asked why we needed the extensions when both doors are the same height. I just shook my head and sent him to the lumber yard for shims and caulk.