PDA

View Full Version : Class C RV remodel - replace carpet

david a graham
11-01-2012, 7:00 PM
I just bought a new to me Class C RV and it requires some updating. Wondering if anyone has replaced flooring in a motor home? The carpet is worn out and we want to put in a hard surface floor.

Biff Johnson
11-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes, I have done many RV floors and supervised an RV service center. My advice: Stay away from tile! Stick with a laminate floor or vinyl. Something about a moving and flexing chassis and ceramic tile don't mix!

Jim Mackell
11-02-2012, 5:08 PM
Yes, I have done many RV floors and supervised an RV service center. My advice: Stay away from tile! Stick with a laminate floor or vinyl. Something about a moving and flexing chassis and ceramic tile don't mix!

+ 1

We ripped out the white carpet in our 5th wheel and dropped in laminate on top of the subfloor. Lots easier to maintain and keep clean. Carpets and RV's are not a good mix!

david a graham
11-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks I was thinking laminate myself.

Jason Roehl
11-03-2012, 8:50 AM
I'd probably look at vinyl tile. There are some very good looking options these days--they look very much like high-end ceramic tile. I would think laminate would creak and pop while going down the road, and possibly even pop loose.

Brian Elfert
11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Plenty of people put laminate in RVs without issue. One thing is if the RV has a slide that could be an issue. The slide often rides right on top of the carpet and the extra thickness of other flooring can cause issues in some cases.

Jim Mackell
11-03-2012, 1:30 PM
I would think laminate would creak and pop while going down the road, and possibly even pop loose.

Laminate floors are not glued down. They float on top of the subfloor.

Dave Verstraete
11-10-2012, 6:20 AM
A lot of people on the rv forums are using the Allure Flooring vinyl. They are snap lock like the laminates, so installation is relatively easy. Available at the Depot.

david a graham
11-12-2012, 7:33 PM
Wow - I removed the carpet over the weekend and if staples are a sign of quality I've got a fine RV! I haven't pulled them yet but I bet there are 300-400 hundred quite a few pulled out with the carpet.

Biff Johnson
11-12-2012, 8:19 PM
Minimum wage worker+production line stress+pneumatic stapler=fun