PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic mugs

Linda Tetreault
04-20-2005, 1:19 PM
Has anyone done ceramic coffee mugs, I have a customer who's interested in mugs with school logos. I want to be able to laser off the color so that there is a white logo. Will the images be nice & crisp & would the mugs need to be sealed? Also, I need a supplier of laserable mugs as this is something new for us. So far all our jobs are things I never considered, & the ones I thought I had sold never materialized, shoulda known!!

Linda

Keith Outten
04-20-2005, 5:22 PM
Linda,

I haven't seen any ceramic mugs that were laser engraveable. I have seen dye-sublimable mugs, I expect you have seen them as well. Last but not least are the stainless steel mugs that can be engraved using CerMark or TherMark products which I have done several.

LaserBits used to sell a ceramic tile that was engravable and did not require any preparation, these tiles worked extremely well and it would sure be nice to be able to purchase mugs made the same way. The company that sells the tiles now is amost impossible to purchase from, I've had no luck at all contacting them, I believe the name is LaserTiles.

Chuck Burke
04-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Linda,
That maybe be a job for sublimation..... if you do laser engrave the mugs, you will need to mask them some way, then laser them, THEN to preserve what you have done, probably paint fill them, but I don't know for sure....

Good luck
chuck burke
American Pacific Awards

Mike Mackenzie
04-21-2005, 1:39 PM
Linda,

You can laser colored mugs and then use Rub & Buff to fill color into it.

Chuck Burke
04-21-2005, 2:40 PM
HI Mike,
I have tried on three different occasions to get rub n buff to work. All without success. What is the secret?

Thanks
Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards

Kevin Huffman
04-21-2005, 5:14 PM
Hey Chuck,

First you have to rub it, then you have to buff it. That is the secret. LoL JK
Just given ya hard time.

Linda Tetreault
04-21-2005, 5:35 PM
Mike, Do you have a source for the mugs? I haven't been able to find anything but white. Linda

Mike Mackenzie
04-21-2005, 5:52 PM
Linda,

I just did a quick search through google and came up with this.

http://store.yahoo.com/beldecal/coffeemugs.html

There were others as well I just did a search for "Ceramic coffee mugs"

The one pictured was bought from Target.

Mike Mackenzie
04-21-2005, 5:56 PM
Hey Chuck,

I don't have any secrets I just lasered it and applied the "Rub & Buff" Let it dry and wipe it off.

Are you sure you ar'nt using that other brand "Buff & Rub" (ha ha)

Linda Tetreault
04-21-2005, 9:37 PM
Thanks Mike,

I searched on colored ceramic mugs, got lots of close outs, which is great unless you want repeat customers & tons of white. The link you sent has most of the colors I need. I appreciate the help, thank you.
Linda:)

Chuck Burke
04-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Kevin,
Are you saying you are "rubbing it in" LOL ( insert laugh here ) Boy I crack me up LOL

Let me know when you are coming to the islands.....