PDA

View Full Version : Have I gone too far?

Matthew N. Masail
11-01-2012, 2:08 PM
what to do with this nice piece of red cedar ?

Turkey Brest in Cedar wood, garnished with the cooked and marinated shavings:)
the most enjoyable part of making it was taking the shavings......... what’s wrong with me?:confused:

Taste test: AMAZING.

Jim Koepke
11-01-2012, 3:36 PM
I have done similar only throw shavings in the BBQ.

My shavings are also used in the nesting boxes for our chickens.

Also for starting fires in the wood stove.

Thin shavings are easy to start with just a flint sparker.

jtk

jamie shard
11-01-2012, 3:50 PM
Mmm, roughage! :D

Damon Stathatos
11-01-2012, 4:47 PM
Yes...you have...gone too far.

That being said, who am I to judge and...to each his own.

Jim Rimmer
11-01-2012, 5:08 PM
Only if you ate the shavings. :D

Kenneth Speed
11-01-2012, 7:54 PM
I was going to say that I smoked a turkey with cherry offcuts but I was afraid someone would ask what kind of bong I had that could hold a turkey and cherry offcuts. More correctly, I made a smoked turkey using cherry offcuts. It was delicious. Also I just gave two industrial trash bags of wood shavings to a friend who has a horse, a donkey and some bantam chickens.

Ken

Joe A Faulkner
11-01-2012, 8:16 PM
You my friend are a genius. Please send me your recipe, so I can use it to help my wife understand why she really wants me to buy that low angle jack plane I've been thinking about.

"It's not for the shop honey, it's for the kitchen."

Jim Koepke
11-02-2012, 1:00 AM
You my friend are a genius. Please send me your recipe, so I can use it to help my wife understand why she really wants me to buy that low angle jack plane I've been thinking about.

"It's not for the shop honey, it's for the kitchen."

Actually, there were plane like tools made for ice shaving.

I have also thought of using a plane set for thick shavings of potatoes for frying.

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
11-02-2012, 6:41 AM
LoL, Jim, I like your thinking, let the chickens absorb the flavor early.........:D intresting about the potatoes.. need an old crappy block blane with a huge mouth, I have just the one! I might just try it .

Kenneth, I'm not sure what your getting at, but I sure hope your friend isn't planing on smoking a horse and and dunkey.;)

And no... I didn't eat the shavings... but I did try it. . . . :o

Carl Beckett
11-02-2012, 7:52 AM
At first I thought this was another one of those master carvings, and you chose this subject matter. Now THAT would have been too far.....

Jim Matthews
11-02-2012, 8:24 AM
Um... "inventive"?

Matthew N. Masail
11-03-2012, 1:37 PM
Um... "inventive"?

Isn't Cedar a knowen wood for flavoring meats..?

Curt Harms
11-04-2012, 7:37 AM
Isn't Cedar a knowen wood for flavoring meats..?

For meats, I think dampened then added to a slow fire for smoking. For fish, however do a google:). I guess you could do meat on a cedar plank but fish -salmon specifically - seems to "get more press".

george wilson
11-04-2012, 8:14 AM
It beats the crap out of just throwing them away!!!:):):) Sometimes I mulch mine for the garden. I don't know if my rosewood,ebony and boxwood would make good flavorings,though!! Boxwood is carcinogenic. Might be best to not use it for cooking,nor rosewood or ebony either. Unfortunately,they all get mixed in my dust collector and cannot be separated.

If anyone trys cooking with your chips,DO stick to the standard woods normally used for such,like hickory,oak and maple. I think cedar would be o.k.,but it might be worth Googling for harmful woods before using any tropical species.

Bill White
11-04-2012, 8:44 AM
Matt, I'm sendin' some folks with restraints. You're havin' a problem. :)
Bill

Ethan Liou
11-04-2012, 9:57 AM
In my country, wooden planes are used to make peanut candy shavings. Mixed with ice cream, Rolled up like tortilla roll. Sweet.

You can find some pics here.
http://taurustravel.shop2000.com.tw/product/81835/p1405588