PDA

View Full Version : stl file and wincnc

Dave Bonde
11-01-2012, 1:46 PM
Riverebend Middle School has a brand new Camaster Stinger CNC Router!!! Yes big gloat and a thank you to Keith and Joey at Camasters will follow soon. I already have my first of many questions I’m sure. I purchased a 3d file of a rose off of ebay and the file came in stl format. How do I run that file in wincnc. We purchased Vcarve Pro but do not have that in our hands yet. Can I import that stl file into wincnc or do I need a program to convert it? Thanks Dave

Jerome Stanek
11-01-2012, 3:38 PM
you need to have a program IE Vcarve Pro Aspire or another to create a cut file to load into your wincnc.

Dave Bonde
11-01-2012, 4:19 PM
OK Thanks, will VCarve Pro generate a 3d stl file or do I need a program like Aspire to do that?

Jerome Stanek
11-01-2012, 5:58 PM
You would need Aspire for that Talk to Brian and see if you could change your order to Aspire.

Dave Bonde
11-01-2012, 6:14 PM
Aspire is out of my budget at the present time maybe something we can grow into. Thanks for the info. Dave

Jason Beam
11-01-2012, 8:45 PM
You don't need Aspire, per se. If you already have the STL, you can use cut3d to make your toolpaths. MUCH cheaper. Aspire does a lot more things, but toolpath generation is very similar. You can then bring the 3D toolpath into vCarvePro to combine it with 2D cuts like on a sign or something with a 3D embellishment.

james mcgrew
11-01-2012, 8:55 PM
you will need cut 3d or aspire to toolpathit your self, if you want I could work it for you. always glad to help !!

Dave Bonde
11-01-2012, 9:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys, James I sent you a PM.

james mcgrew
11-02-2012, 5:25 PM
244626Good looking file,, I will look for my copy of cut 3d and prep it for vcarve pro,, do you have a camaster, I see you are using wincnc, I am working tomorrow so feel free to call my number is on my site,,

Dave Bonde
11-02-2012, 9:33 PM
Yes, we just got our Stinger on Monday, looks like a very nice machine. We are waiting for our software (VCarve Pro) to arrive so we can start working with it. I am planning on being in the woods on a tree stand all day tomorrow with a bow in my hand but if I get a break I will give you a call. Thanks again.

james mcgrew
11-03-2012, 6:44 AM
Dave, if you have received the email with your vectric codes then you can go to vectric site, download the full demo of VCP and go to help>enter user code> this will unlock your software,, no need to wait on disk

Jerome Stanek
11-03-2012, 7:03 AM
I don't think you can enter a user code into the demo. Brian explained this on the Vectric forum

james mcgrew
11-03-2012, 7:46 AM
did it last night with a new user,,

Jerome Stanek
11-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Jim I think you can not input your user code into a demo copy. Brian explained that on the Vectric forum

Dave Bonde
11-03-2012, 1:24 PM
I have not received anything from Vetric - not sure why.

Kevin Groenke
11-03-2012, 9:36 PM
Hello Dave,

As others have already indicated, you need a CAM package to make the g-code that wincnc (your controller software) will use to make the router go.

Aspire is just one of dozens (hundreds?) of software packages that can be used to create toolpaths and generate g-code. Many of these packages are somewhat specific to particular types of work (cabinet parts, machine shops, signage, 2d cutting, etc...) and have functionality geared toward such work. The packages range from quite simple to extraordinarily complex and from free to tens of thousands of dollars. I have heard many stories of new cnc users and schools who were sold a software package inappropriate for the work that they bought the machine to do. It's easy for the uninitiated to get frustrated if they get stuck with an ineffective or excessively complex CAM package. If there is a 3D design software already being taught in the school, it's possible that CAM could be integrated into that software/curriculum. I think you would want to determine what you want to teach the students to do which may clarify the choice of software somewhat.

We use Rhino for much of our design in our higher ed design disciplines and there is a plug-in called RhinoCam that allows toolpaths to be generated right in the application.

MecSoft, the company that makes RhinoCam (and Visual Mill) also offers FreeMill (http://www.mecsoft.com/freemill.shtml)which is a free version of the software with fairly limited functionality.

There is another forum out there that has good comparisons, recommendations and discussions of general and specific CAM programs.

Good luck,
-kevin

james mcgrew
11-04-2012, 6:53 AM
You may be right, we have benn helping a fellow with a new win 8 computer reload, yet on an upgrade we could do it, checking now !! thanks jerome

Jerome Stanek
11-04-2012, 7:33 AM
He could try free 3d machinist art 3d from Vector art 3D if he got it from them

james mcgrew
11-04-2012, 9:28 AM
This is my next suggestion as well,, it will only allow him to machine the vector art 3d, they provide free samples and he can be cutting on Monday !! www.vectorart3d.com (http://www.vectorart3d.com) look for the free 3dmachinist software and the free models, I have a lot of files and will do all I can to help this school !!